SS4x4, A themed build.

Prepmech

Seaman
Working on a Super Sport 16 (Sylvan) with a little bit of a twist.

Here is what I had to start with:

Prepmech

Seaman
Have always had Jeeps, but just don't have the time to enjoy them anymore. So, I sold my Cherokee:

Prepmech

Seaman
Talking with my brother, trying to decide what I wanted, I had a few immediate requirements:

Fit in my garage
Big enough to take out on Lake
Small enough for ponds and river
Something I can fish out of
Enough power to pull a tube

The idea was born when I told him I wanted a Jeep CJ-7, but a boat.

Prepmech

Seaman
Stripped it down:

Transom and floors were soft.

Carpet glue was everywhere and a pain to get off. Finally figured out using aircraft paint stripper and a pressure washer was the best for removing it.

Prepmech

Seaman
Motor is going to be an Evinrude 88 special. Cylinders are all in good shape. Replacing gaskets, cleaning it up a bit.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Prepmech,

Looks like you got yourself a nice SS, glad you found us here as most people don't know that Starcraft makes Sylvan. So is the lift kit and mudders going on the trailer?

Prepmech

Seaman
Been busy welding unused holes in the gunwales. Priming them with some etching primer, then a light coat of enamel. The plan for now is to spray them with color matched bedliner.

Picked up a couple of donor boats:

Prepmech

Seaman
A friend of mine has an Offroad Shop, and has a set of KC style lights that will probably find a home mounted on the gunwales just in front of the windshield. He has replacement LED Lamps for the KC housings.

They make a lot of stainless steel jeep accessories that will be finding their way onto the boat.

Thinking about using this throttle/shifter out of one of the parts boats:

Prepmech

Seaman
Thinking about using this fuel tank. It is taller than the original floor was, but should fit under the splashwell and rear bench seat I have planned.

Prepmech

Seaman
Failed at my first attempt at gluing the transom plywood sheets together. I used the Loctite PL adhesive, and I was unable to get all of the air out from between the two sheets. So I cut it down, bolted it to an old file cabinet, added some wheels, and made a new drill press stand. Going to try again soon, but probably going to use something thinner for glue this time.

Watermann

Titebond III or Titebond or Gorilla Poly glue. Good stuff that's easy to use.

Titebond%20Polyurethane.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
great idea for a drill press stand!

...and is that a Cub International peeking out there???

IMG_20151031_163644086.jpg

^^^ almost had my hands on a restored 102 for mega-cheap...but the seller backed out. :(

jbcurt00

Staff member
How big is that fuel tank? Looks like a lot of fuel (weight) to add at the stern of a 16ftr.

Even w out trapped air, PL isnt a great choice for laminating the transom. It takes a long time to fully cure. Good luck w transom 2.0.

Prepmech

Seaman
Wasn't really thinking about the weight of the fuel, that is a very good point. Going to have to do some math and figure out how many gallons it holds.

I have another fuel tank in one of my donor boats that may work. It is mounted under the floor towards the front of a closed bow. Going to have to get it out and see how big it is.

Portable fuel tank is still an option, definitely keeps things simple if I go that route.

Where would be the ideal location for a fuel tank? Do you want to try to keep the weight of the boat centered, or would it be better to have it towards the rear?

Watermann

You don't have to fill the tank all the way up :happy:
I would recommend midship tank placement but the filler and such limit where you can place it.

I love rivets too and my rivet gun for the blinds is the best thing ever.

Prepmech

Seaman
Can't find many pictures of boats with the stuff I want to do, so there are probably going to end up being some Jeep pictures on here.

My brother's jeep has the lights on the windshield like I have planned:

And I got my buddy Randy at the Offroad shop to send me a picture of the lights with the LED lamps I am going to use: