First Timer Restore 1978 StarCraft SS16

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to begin this project of restoring what I believe to be a 78 StarCraft SS16...my therapy project....for a lot of reasons...anyway I have always been boat crazy, water crazy, and I live on the lake, and I wanted something besides a kayak for a long time, and I stumbled across this boat. I thought it had lots of potential and I just knew it was meant to be from 1st sight....so I took her home. She just needs some love....and I have plenty of that....not sure about all the other skills I will need to make her a head turner like some of the SS restores I have seen on here. That Dozer fellow...aka Glen...he does some awesome work, and shares some great info. I am glad I found this forum...lots of great work, and information to help a girl out. I am pretty handy around the house, but I guess that's like the ole apples and oranges comparison analogy. I learned how to lay tile and other various things, so why can't I learn to restore a boat...That's what I tell my-self anyway...we will see! I look forward to learning from you all...I think it's going to be a lot of fun...for the most part anyway. I was trying to upload some photos of her...but for some reason it won't let me. I will see what I can figure out and I'll be back!!!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Alright, its getting busy around here! Don't get intimated by the restore, with the help and advice from these guys you will be able to do alot. I didnt restore mine back to normal, but the things I needed to do I learned from advice here. Most people I think here use photo bucket for posting pics. I just take the with my cell phone. When I email them to myslef it gives me the options of small medium and large. I choose small. Then when I save them to my computer and upload to the website I never have an issue.

dozerII

Admiral
Glad to see you start a restore thread Susan, Photo Bucket is your friend for posting pictures. Look forward to seeing your project, and :welcome:

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks y'all!!! Still having trouble with pictures...I am doing the photo bucket thing...I will give it another try....

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
here is one finally...slow but sure...what can I say. Thanks a lot Glen!!!!!!!!!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Not bad, mine had the same color and swoosh I think originally. And your seats and trailer look in fine shape. Nice looking motor on the tail end too!. Looking forward to seeing you get this thing back in shape.

The deck looks good enough in the pics to be able to use as a template for the new one too!

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the Starmada laklvng! :welcome:

That will be a great project and it looks like you have a newer power-plant...how many horsies?

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks CC!!! It is just a little 50...but it suites my needs for time being.

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Mr. gonefisshn!!!! I think she has a lot of potential to be a real head turner. I have red and shinny aluminum in mind. The trailer is like new...the engine suppose to be rebuilt...but you know how that can be. It's just a little 50...but gotta start somewhere. I think it will work for me just fine.It seems pretty solid. No dents or even dings that I have found. I was thinking the same thing about the deck...they didn't do very good cutting around the ribs...but i think I could clean them up a little with the router before using them for template. Heck it has house light switches for the bilge pump, and for the on off switch...I guess sometimes people just use what they have.The seats are in great shape...but I'm thinking maybe white,,,unless I stumble across the perfect color of red seats...I'm a long, long way from that point, but I am on the hunt. I checked your restore out....looks great!!!! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Decker83

Commander
:welcome:to I-boats..
Your sure found a really nice boat to start with.. Looks like all the parts or there.. Nice and clean straight hull..
The Erude looks great too..
Lots of great gentlemen here to help with all your questions..
If you can do tile work, this should be no problem for you..:thumb:
Looking forward in seeing your project come together.. ​​

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Starmada.

Looks like you got a good one to work one. It isn't hard work at all....unless you have the hated trailer work, but yours looks OK.