1963 16' Star Dust I believe

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Part of the RR that goes over the channel also covers the row of blind rivets that hold the gunnel on. Would it be possible to use 1/16" angle AL to cover the rivets on top and bridge over the channel?

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The problem with this Starcraft is that it's a little over 1/2" to cover the rivets. I think they managed to keep them closer to the edge on later ones.

I'm looking for some RV awning rail for another project and am now wondering if I could use some of that. Some of that is 1 1/2" high so that should cover my channel but I'll still need some 5/8" aluminum angle in the 1/16" thickness under it. Another possibility would be to use a couple awning rails, one on top and another over the open channel. Something could be slid in between the 2 channels. Just some more thoughts.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations on the first trip! It's been a while since you built that brake and you made a practically new boat over the last couple years.

StarTed

Took it down to the Snake for a try at some fall Chinook. It turned out to be quite a try.

Launched the boat behind the motor home. That worked quite well. Then the starter wouldn't spin up the motor and I had trouble getting it started.

Finally it fired up so I went out on the reservoir for a try. The next few starts it cranked just fine.

Around noon it quit cranking normally and went back to a slow hesitant crank at best. Finally nothing so I sat out there on the opposite side of the reservoir all alone. Then it dawned on me that I might be able to hand start the motor with a small rope I had on board. At first the only way I could make a handle for the rope was a Bic pen. The pen almost pinched in half and bent badly until it was useless.

Looking around in the boat I found an adjustable wrench that made a fine handle. Shortly I had it running again so I headed right back to the dock and ramp. That was the end of the boat runs since I felt the batteries were run down too much.

I talked with several others fishing there and no one had even a bite. Fishing was very poor at best.

A friend came down that works on boats and we discussed the problem. He said that the starter was probably the problem with it only producing half the torque. He has some starters at his home.

A check at the fish ladder showed that over 1,200 Chinook came through the previous day and more were coming through. It's not a lack of fish but rather a lack of them biting. Maybe the water temperature is too high. I measured 62 degrees F.

When I got back home I pulled the starter and took it apart. It had a strong odor but looked OK. When pulling the end cap one of the wires slid out of a brush on the hot side. I suspect that it just laid in the brush making contact at times and little to none at others. I ordered a new set that should be in on Monday.

The boat launches around me close on Saturday so it'll take a trip to test it after that.

The fun of owning a boat.

StarTed

Took out the boat today for the first time since replacing the brushes last tall.

It was wonderful to hear the starter spin the motor full speed. Of course I immediately flooded it so it took a little to get it started. After that it started up instantly every time.

Don't have the jet adjusted quite right since it wants to move forward when in neutral. Have to work on that gate adjustment. With this single lever Evinrude control I can't see the full adjustment needed to make the jet neutral and still get full throttle.

Raised the motor a couple of holes and that seems about right. Top speed seems to be about 24mph. I was hoping for more but then it's a jet pump on the 75 Evinrude. Revs right up and comes up on plane fine.

Put it back away. Too many other distractions.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah you'll loose at least 20 HP worth of speed with the jet lower, keep her lightweight and have some fun with it.