can stern drives tilt up out of water like OB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrain

Banned
can stern drives tilt up out of water like OB? I like to be able to draft in real shallow water like less than 10" .

the next boat I'm wanting mid 1980s 21' Starcraft islander (aluiamin)I believe it's hull sits about 8" in water thats w/ a OB completely tilted.

how shallow will the same boat draft w/ a sterndrive?

I double space my threads here I boats it's easier to read.I boats please stop single spacing my threads. Thanks TB

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Others should chime in here...but here's what I think...
First of all, you can damage the u-joints on a stern drive if you have it trimmed too high while your engine is running. When your trim limit switch is adjusted correctly, it will only allow it to trim up so far. Then there is the trailer switch that will over ride that, permitting you to get the drive all the way up away from any road damage. But again...never run your engine in trailer position.
So, if you want to just drift..yes, use the trailer switch and get that drive all the way up out of the way. But if you want to have it running in less than 10" of water, I don't think that will work.

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What Poconojoe said ... and if your are talking about an OMC Stringer, you cannot tilt and run at all.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the boat will draft about the same, assuming the loading is the same. however to run, the drive must be down. you will not be able to drive an I/O tilted up like you can an OB.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

IO drives can tilt up high enough to basically be at the level of the keel depending on boat design. And you can run a kicker motor to the side that also is higher than the keel. I run the below pictured setup in about 14 inches of water. Any less and I get out and push :D

Can't run the stern drive with it up very far. Water level is right at the base of the swim platform.

Attachments

• photo229452.jpg
    photo229452.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure why anyone would ever want to run their expensive to repair boat in 10" of water whether OB or IO.

Depending of course on the size of the OB or the IO motor the stern will draft more water with the heavier motor.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Not sure why anyone would ever want to run their expensive to repair boat in 10" of water whether OB or IO.

Depending of course on the size of the OB or the IO motor the stern will draft more water with the heavier motor.

Not a fisherman or a hunter, I take it :D

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Yeah both actually but I don't hunt for Elk or fish for walleye in 10" of water. ;)

In my deep dark yuteful past we used to hunt some shallow backwaters for hogs. Wasn't a boat I owned, was the bosses boat. We'd get in some back areas with a boat pretty much similar hull as my modified ski boat. Back then it was an MC1, an inline 6 in a Steury cuddy cabin. We had dog tie rings all over the cabin and sandbags to keep the bow level with the stern. Easier to tell how deep the water was if the bow is level. Fishfinders being what they were back then, they really weren't useful up a crick.

This last month at Cascade Lake in central Idaho, I stuck the boat in the water on Thursday evening to go bass fishing. When I pulled the boat out Saturday midday the hull grounded in the sand right as the front half of the boat came even with the dock. We knew it was shallow when we launched, so we crept out on Thursday and were creeping in on kicker and being extremely observant on Saturday. They were letting water out so fast that it changed a lot in 2 days. Bass fishing was good though. Cascade Lake is a meadow with a river through it that Army Corps of Engineers added a dam and 20 feet of water to. The entire shore of this fairly large body of water has some great fishing in muddy bottom shallow waters. Easy to touch bottom with the stern drive so we use the kicker in shallow areas. Not a mark on my hull, I've been very careful. And my sterndrive does not touch bottom first when it is up. Nor the kicker.

My normal fishing is trolling for salmon in deeper water lakes. WHen the salmon is slow we go find trouble.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.