1970 Starcraft Jupiter V (information needed)

erimille

Recruit
I learned a long time ago when restoring anything (car, motorcycle, boat, etc.) once you decide what you want buy the nicest one you can find as it will make the restoration process easier. I learned this a long time ago, and then promptly forgot it apparently when a pretty beat up 1970 Starcraft Jupiter V followed me home the other day.

She needs a new floor and transom. There is a pretty big ding on her left front, and we're missing the left rear transom cap. She seems water tight with no noticable leaks (I filled her up and waited an hour). She's sitting on a 1970 Gator fold down and while this trailer has seen better days, still quite serviceable .

img-1.jpg

img-2.jpg

img-4.jpg

img-7.jpg

A few quick questions to those that have journeyed down the path before.

1) Is there a small opening at the bottom ribs for water to travel? There appears to be the case, but I can't tell if each rib is clogged or the previous owner? filled this up with expanding foam (i had to chip away much of this to get it to this state).

2) Does anyone know where I can get a left rear transom cap?

3) How easy / hard is it to bang out these dents? Any tips / tricks / lessons learned would be appreciated. "Go slow" seems key.

4) She came with an 1970 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp but it too was in pretty rough shape. I believe these Jupiter V's can hold up to an 85hp? outboard. Is this correct?

I'm pretty new to this kind of boat so apologies in advance for such basic questions. I do a fair bit of woodworking, and my experience has been only with wooden sailboats. The "aluminum lyman" makes for a much better fit for where and how my sons and I would like to use this boat.

thanks in advance,

--eric

ps: more detailed picts and emerging notes are available here http://potlach.org/2015/starcraft/

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada erimille!

Nice start off with some good pics of your Jup. :thumb: I'm not a Jup owner but some of the guys lurking around should be able to answer your questions.

64osby

Admiral
On the dents, I have formed wooden blocks / 2x4's to fit the curve or shape on a few small tin boats and a few old cars. Go slow is always good. Have also found that doing less to it is better than doing too much.

Looks like a great project.