22' starcraft Islander Transom Replace...what to do at the upper corners?

bradcool

Recruit
Became proud owner of 1985 Starcraft Islander 22' Outboard Model...Replacing Floor, Foam Transom...How do I remove the Aluminum above the transom
on the sides? This has got me befuddled. Thanks for any suggestions. I have read through most of the old posts in this forum to get a undergraduate education at the Islander University of Starcraft but this issue still alludes me. I did an inboard years ago and I remember bending aluminum, but only a few inches...

Attachments

• DSC02415.JPG
    DSC02415.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02416.JPG
    DSC02416.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02420.JPG
    DSC02420.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 6

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats and the Starmada Brad!

Nice looking OB Islander you got there :thumb:

You're going to have to remove the end caps, rub rail vinyl insert to get to the bolts that hold on the rub rail channel. The gunnels come back over the top of the transom and will need to be lifted or the less desirable bent up and then bent back. If you remove enough of the rub rail channel bolts you can just lift the gunnels up off of the transom for removal. (held on under the rub rail channel by blind rivets) Be sure to take out the splash well too, it makes life a whole lot easier and if I'm not mistaken the splash well "wings" on that model might go over the top of the gunnel too.

fetch

bradcool

Recruit
Thanks. For the fast and informative response. I will try the more desirable method first. Trying to get er done before it gets cold outside despite
missing more of the fall bite on Lake Erie. :(