1st Timer - 1974 Starcraft Super Sport

Hello All,
I am going to begin the process of restoring a 16' - 1974 Super Sport - My co-worker Bwanadon
(Mod EDIT, Bwana Don, right? Ask him to swing by when he's got time) said this is the place for helpful tips.
I have been reading alot of great information but I thought starting my own thread would be cool.

About me, 36 years old, boat newbie so be gentle with the tech terms unless i can google it to find out what you mean ( I had to google transom to understand what you guys were talking about)

The boat is a 1974 Starcraft Super Sport - neglected for many years

I figured first step is finding leaks and replacing the floor

FullSizeRender_2.jpg IMG_0635.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I have the decking all removed and filled the boat with some water to find some leaky rivet, figured I would use gluvit to fix those....I found 1 rivet completely missing so it leaks like crazy in that one spot..I am assuming just re-rivet that hole?

I saved the floor for templates and purchased spme marine grade plywood from menards...Any advice for products to seal the wood (please be specific on the epxoy and where to purchase it)

Budget - I am hoping to keep the floor replacement under $500 - with the wood I am half way there already

Last edited:
Couple more things - I am throwing away all the nasty foam that was in the bottom of the boat, know a good place to buy new?
Same thing with the seats - any good websites to buy new or used?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Take a look at the boat resto's here:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

Rigid sheet foam instead of styro

Put a closed end blind rivet in the hole w/ the missing rivet

Iboats sells boat seats, forum members get an extra 5% off

Yes, gluvit the interior rivets and seams

Here in the resto forum is a fine place to document the rehab of your SS, if you'd like it moved over into the Starcraft forum, just ask.

Welcome to the forum and the Tin-Sanity :tinfoil3:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Mike!

Nice little SS you found yourself, she looks to be very worthy of a second chance on the water. :thumb:

So I only have a few boat lingo peeves, "floor" and "flooring" is one of them :lol: Boats have decks and decking.

We have a VERY active Starcraft boat owners forum here at iboats http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats and at the top of the page are all of the restorations categorized by model.

Lots of answers to ANY questions and everything Starcraft all the time!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes if my thread is better off in another place please move it, sorry about that

Go take a look thru the SC forum. If YOU think it's a better fit there, or that's where you want it, it can be moved. It is a rebuild so here is OK too. Totally up to you..............

No Title

Well its been awhile since my last post but I am making progress. I ripped out the old decking and did a leak test and found 1 rivet completely missing and a few leaky ones. I purchased some coat-it epoxy instead of Gluvit since it was soo much cheaper

Mod EDIT

Then i purchased some 3/4 marine grade plywood and re-traced and cut out the deck. Used some epoxy sealer

Mod EDIT

Attachments

• photo232300.jpg
    photo232300.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo232301.jpg
    photo232301.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo232302.jpg
    photo232302.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo232303.jpg
    photo232303.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo232304.jpg
    photo232304.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Before I put the deck back in I started reading about flotation foams, ping pong balls, 2 liter bottle which got me thinking. I am trying to do this restore on the cheaper side and thought I wonder if I can use PVC tubing and cap each end? Is that crazy? PVC is cheap and i would think chemical resistant? What do you guys think

jbcurt00

Staff member
Below decks is an odd shape, fitting round pipes wouldn't fill the area very well, another reason noodles aren't a good choice either.

anyone feeling helpful and willing to tell me where to get foam sheets on the cheap and how much i need? Motor is 85 horse so is must be at least 250 lbs