new to me TIN

Richmond2000

Seaman
the top one goes to the controls and the lower one loops around and goes through the transom to the leg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeap that looks right, trying to remember my same vintage mess I had when I got my Chief. The shift interrupter switch on yours is at the top of the inside transom assembly. I was a perplexed tho to see it was white inside rather than black, your Holly must of gotten some new old stock pieced together. Sure is a lot cleaner than mine was and the old transom wood looks stock too.

This is the greasy nasty mess I had.

ef6f7c9e-7f2f-41c8-8736-aa9fb786c03a.jpg

Richmond2000

Seaman
the inside bracketry is the ONLY white part of the drive all the ret is black and the transom looks to be "like NEW" in shape

Richmond2000

Seaman
so a some what fruitful week end
rebuilt my carb / replaced my cap and coil replaced my ignition switch (screw driver no longer required to start)
engine NOW starts and runs reliably

built a NEW "dog house" to cover the engine

tried to re adjust the control cables to the remote control station and shifting into Ahead shifts smoothly and as the control goes through the detent forward
going to astern position is REALLY stiff and gears grind but NOT going in to gear (tried ONCE ONLY at approx 400 RPM idle throttle disconnected and idle turned down )
so I pulled the out drive to have "milkshake" pour out the drive shaft boot )-:
drive unit is full of "milkshake"

and looking closer the LOWER unit is quite banged up / the UPPER is in good nick appearance wise

so I was wondering what is the INTERCHANGE between MC-1 and ALPHA 1
as best as I can tell the lower unit casing is the same and some suppliers on iBoats lists Alpha 1 MK1 units working on 1967 OR 1972 MC -1 boats with a drive shaft change to the MC - 1 unit

I plan on pulling the drive apart this week but am curious about the alpha route as ALPHAs are quite common inn these parts

dozerII

Admiral
so a some what fruitful week end
rebuilt my carb / replaced my cap and coil replaced my ignition switch (screw driver no longer required to start)
engine NOW starts and runs reliably

built a NEW "dog house" to cover the engine

tried to re adjust the control cables to the remote control station and shifting into Ahead shifts smoothly and as the control goes through the detent forward
going to astern position is REALLY stiff and gears grind but NOT going in to gear (tried ONCE ONLY at approx 400 RPM idle throttle disconnected and idle turned down )
so I pulled the out drive to have "milkshake" pour out the drive shaft boot )-:
drive unit is full of "milkshake"

and looking closer the LOWER unit is quite banged up / the UPPER is in good nick appearance wise

so I was wondering what is the INTERCHANGE between MC-1 and ALPHA 1
as best as I can tell the lower unit casing is the same and some suppliers on iBoats lists Alpha 1 MK1 units working on 1967 OR 1972 MC -1 boats with a drive shaft change to the MC - 1 unit

I plan on pulling the drive apart this week but am curious about the alpha route as ALPHAs are quite common inn these parts

I dont believe the alpha will fit without changing the whole transom assembly. If our dollar wasn't so bad the most economical fix would be an SEI replacement unit.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The Alpha set up is a good choice but if you buy one that's 20 years old it could also be in the same shape with leaky OD seals that need replaced.

Richmond2000

Seaman
I dont believe the alpha will fit without changing the whole transom assembly. If our dollar wasn't so bad the most economical fix would be an SEI replacement unit.

I just saw your "in the red" condensed version and wonder what you did to the out drive if anything beyond resealing as I assume a BC boat met a rock once in its life

OFF TOPIC got to say NICE job on the boat (-:

dozerII

Admiral
I just saw your "in the red" condensed version and wonder what you did to the out drive if anything beyond resealing as I assume a BC boat met a rock once in its life

OFF TOPIC got to say NICE job on the boat (-:

Thanks Richmond2000. I did not have to reseal . But pretty much everything else, there steering pin and gimbal ring were worn out so I had to replace pretty much the whole transom.