new to me TIN

Richmond2000

Seaman
today I bought a 1969 StarCraft Holiday 18 I/O with a Mercuiser 120 BHP engine
I have bean watching this ^^^ and ONE other on KIJIJI (craigslist like site in Canada)
Mod EDIT to add link to pending purchase topic:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...t-boats/10021404-18-ft-holiday-looking-to-buy

Both 2000 asking price and I was leaning towards the other one as it was a 78 but the 69 the seller pulled has AD and put a NEW one up for 1K asking price and I had my decision MADE for me as BIG trailers in this part fetch 800 and a GM 4 pot is 500 to 1K so NO WAY TO LOOSE AT ALL

the boats "back story" as told to me
he imported it from the USA 4 years ago and would use it ONE week a year at the cabin
he had planned on referbing the boat but has no time - the NORMAL sales pitch the boat HAS the NEW style MB numbers not the older ward numbers

condition wise from 2 cursory inspections there are some loose / popped rivets (I saw 5) NO cracking around the rivets
the transom is open and can be inspected and is SOLID!
the floor is solid except ONE soft spot approx 8 inch around and where the carpet can be pulled back ( both sides of engine) the wood is 100% the interior vinyl is TRASHED / totally garbage and makes the boat LOOK like CR#P

Last edited by a moderator:

64osby

Admiral
Awesome. Patience pays off. :cool:

Welcome to the Starmada. :)

Hull looks to be in great shape.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You held out for a good looking Holiday, Richmond. Welcome to the Starmada, North Division. :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Awesome, and it looks like you have a nice tandem trailer too.

Richmond2000

Seaman
a new day and a new look
OK
install BATT and test electricals
the sump pump works and the blower works - makes noises like they do
the lights and horn DO NOT work but the horn made a bit of noise almost like a scratchy connection on an old amp

un tied the LEG and it "fell" to the lowered position with only a bit of hydraulic resistance

the hydraulics do NOTHING at all NO "klick" or noise at all

put the muffs on and tried to start her - engine cranks over but NO start / the seller did say it was hard to start and to pour fuel down the carb - tried but NO luck

I suspect the throttle cables are NOT allowing it to go full throttle and was actually "stuck in gear" / undid the shift cable at the transom mount and the controls move properly
tried adjusting the throttle a bit as lowering the fast idle handle 2/3 way down or lower the cable would actually itself try to bend as if it reached the stop and was still being pushed

that is as far as I got so far

some pics

I NEED to sort THAT out soon as it IS a MESS and some BAD wiring / rotted wires

64osby

Admiral
Love the gauge package.

Bow caps are a hard item to come by. Xbay might help, but they are few and far between listings. Saw one last year think it sold for $60.

Richmond2000

Seaman
so an update

I got it running on muffs and it is definitely an issue with the throttle cable NOT pulling the carb far enough to pump the accelerator pump
and I got the power tilt working

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice score on the Holiday!

I added a link to your pending purchase topic in your 1st post above. I also closed the pending purchase topic. If you want to update it or add to it, just PM a Mod and anyone of us can re-open it for you.

Welcome to the Starmada. Boat widow (for the Admirals ;) ) meeting is every other odd Tues and Thurs. Make sure the Admiral doesn't slip any of the MBS antidote into your morning coffee..........

Richmond2000

Seaman
Nice score on the Holiday!

I added a link to your pending purchase topic in your 1st post above. I also closed the pending purchase topic. If you want to update it or add to it, just PM a Mod and anyone of us can re-open it for you.

Welcome to the Starmada. Boat widow (for the Admirals ;) ) meeting is every other odd Tues and Thurs. Make sure the Admiral doesn't slip any of the MBS antidote into your morning coffee..........

thanks and I am honoured to be part of the Starmada FAMILY I do not have to worry about spiked coffee as there is NO boat widow (YET)

Richmond2000

Seaman
I got it started once and it will NOT start NOW (need to service carby and do an IGNITION tune up)

the power tilt I missed a wire on first try and hooked it to the BATT and it works now / goes all the way up and "bottoms" in the up position IT DOES LEAK DOWN so it will need resealing ETC but LATER

as of now those nice gauges do NOT work )-: AMP does and the temp is a replacement and PO says it works as he say temp climb and did impeller 2 years ago
the oil PSI reads ZERO then pinned over when I tapped on it
and for me the disappointment is the tacho reads about 3500 when the engine is idling and the vintage SUN brand looking tach

I might switch the gauges over to vintage SW or sunrpo as the Temp is a sunpro but ALL projects for later

back to the more pressing "issue" is both control cables are out of adjustment or something as at first I could NOT get the unit out of drive until I disconnected the gear shift cable from the transom mount bracket and can NOT get more then about 1/2 throttle on the carb not even enough to pump the accelerator pump

this leg is electric shift is it not and the selector switch is mounted on the transom if I am not mistaken?

there is 2 ignitions on this
ONE on the gauge cluster and another on the "full power tilt" panel
the one on the cluster is the one to start and run the engine the other one appears to do NOTHING
I wonder why it is there as it is wired in to something (did NOT track wiring or anything
I ask as I need to change the ignition as the one to start it the key is broken off in it and a screw driver is used and the other there is NO key but a screw driver will turn it and I have a ignition from a truck @ work I will use

Watermann

The outdrive will have the mechanical shift cable, the same as the newer models.

Richmond2000

Seaman
The outdrive will have the mechanical shift cable, the same as the newer models.

I took a closer look back there and see a second cable off the transom bracket that goes out the transom bracket to the leg

is the prop different on these then an ALPHA ? I saw a fleebay ad that listed for "old style mercuruiser" on a new old stock prop

Watermann

You might have to post a pic of what you're seeing, I'm thinking you're seeing the 2 hydraulic lines that go to the rams. The shift cable runs through the transom assembly on the inside from where the control cables join up at the motor, you can't see it on the outside.

Almost forgot the prop question, yeah I believe your 120 would have the 15 tooth spline and fit the 4 3/4" gear case which is the same as the Alpha..

Last edited:

Richmond2000

Seaman
I will try to get a better PIX later when the sun is up
but there is ONE cable from the controls and it goes to a bracket on the transom mount and there are levers it actuates and that pulls another cable that goes through the gimbal housing to the leg

thanks RE the prop as ALPHA props are common and mine "ate" a log from the previous owner and I will replace it before "slashing"

Alumarine

Captain
I use both the older style and newer style props on my 1980 MC1.
You just have to make sure you have the appropriate hub parts to mount them.