A far away Starcraft American 22 to be saved for next generation

Urban Z

Cadet
Joined iBoats today after several weeks of useful reading. I am about/have started to tear apart a 1978 Starcraft American 22. Every since 1977, when my dad bought an brand new American 16 with a Mercury 50 (later replaced with a 70 when the previous was stolen), my eyes and dreams aimed at the American 22. Well we had many good years with the 16-footer but it is sold since many years. A month ago I came across an American 22 in very bad shape... but decided to buy it anyway since the price was affordable and the road ahead will be fun (most of the time). I just sold my other boat (Nimbus 29 Nova) so I consider the Starcraft as a project rather than a boat (for now) The plan is to work on it for fun and have no rush, As you all Starcraft owners know, it means a full tear down and rip out, down to the bare hull. Then a complete build up targetet towards a original look but with some modernization.

Starcraft boats was imported to Sweden by my father in law in the late 70's. Then it was not represented at all here for several years so you can imagine spare parts are not available at all (except for standard boating stuff). I will post some pictures as time goes by but for now it looks like every other rotten Starcraft:joyous:. Same issues, same weaknesses, same potential!

My firts questions are:
1. Canvas. Does anyone have the original pattern for the full canvas available. I will have a new set manufactured since the old one could not be saved or recognized. I have asked Taylor Made but they only have patterns from the 90's and onwards.

2. Aluminum and rubber rail. I plan to take a part the top from the hull and would like to replace the aluminum lining that keeps them together, as well as the rubber line insert. Anyone that knows about a manufacturer?

Boat background: After joyful years with a handful of owners, the boat was sadly put away witout any care at all. Last owner lived in nothern Sweden and has been unused the last six years. Unfortunately the boat has been filled with water (on land) from rain and snow for a year or two, to a level just beneeth the chairs.. Water mixed with oil, grease, glycol, and many years of dirt from the "rug". Imagine what the interior looked like!:eek:. It has a VP200/280 and burgundy interior. All chrome details needs to be replaced and same for the seat covers an all. Some teak details can be keept after careful treatment but some has to go as well.

Look forward to keep on reading about your renovations since they inspire as well as educates.

Cheers

Urban

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome Urban. Looking forward to updates on your project and let me be the first to say we will need PICTURES!
The guys here love pictures.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Urban,

I always liked the looks of the American SC, there's an OB 18' model where I live that's been behind a house and can be only partly seen and it always catches my eye when I go by.

Not exactly sure of the vinyl rub rail style on the American but if anyone has it these guys do. http://www.wefcorubber.com/

Urban Z

Cadet
Thanks a lot. Seems I need to post three times before "certified picture attacher" so I better write something intelligent two more times...
To set expectations right be aware that my latitude is N 59? 25' 21.648" so fall is coming fast and I have no indoor place yet. Would be great to manage to cut the floor and remove all the flotation material which is soaked with water. The hull does not need another year with expanding ice Winter is good for drying out though.
For sure, the boat(project) will be covered this and following years.

Urban Z

Cadet
Third post... For me it is so frustrating to know that if the manufacturing process had been right from the beginning, many of these boats could have been enjoyed longer and better. How on earth could they beleive that and structure with wood, exposed to water, could last? I also see that management style in the factories back then must have been "laissez faire", cause behind the nice surface and glozzy apperance there is a lot of bad bonding, wowen ends sticking out, stringers badly covered with fiber glass, screws attached randomly without care for what is behind, electrical wires hanging loose etc.:grumpy:

And gosh do I hate the "fuzzy dice"-interior! Even the shelf in the cabin was covered with material more suitable for puppy manufacturing...

:lol:

Now lets hope I am certified to attach some first pictures

64osby

Admiral
IMG_5374_zpspgepkdcp.jpg

You can copy the URL and post pics directly to the post. Also look at auto re formatting you pics to a smaller size on PB 640 x 480 works well.

Truly looks like a project.

Watermann

The photobucket has changed a bit lately. See the row of sharing icons on the right of your pics? Select IMG and paste that link into your post. It'll show up nice and big, you don;t need to worry about resizing.

IMG_5265_zpsq87kwy1i.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Z! :welcome: I would've never guessed she was an "American"! It will be a challenging rebuild for sure but it will certainly be nice to see it done right (aka, better than factory!)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice American

Giid luck w your project

Welcome to iboats

Alumarine

Captain
Nice truck. Are there a lot of full size american trucks over there?
How are they for getting parts and service?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Glad to see another American on the way back to the water! They are my favorite Starcrafts - they should be - I've had three of them!! Fantastic hull design, they ride better than just about any other boat their size.

As for the construction, no boat was ever built to last 30-40 years. They built them to last as long as the warranty, and that was it. They were middle-of-the-road boats, aimed at the Ford and Chevy crowd, not the Mercedes and Cadillac crowd.

If you poke around here, you'll find my old rebuild threads which will give you some indication of what you're getting into. Yours is certainly bigger, but the basic construction is more or less the same.

Urban Z

Cadet
Nice truck. Are there a lot of full size american trucks over there?
How are they for getting parts and service?

Thanks. Well there are quite a few actually. The SDs are most for commercial use but also for enthusiasts as me.... F150s and alike from all brands are growing in popularity.
Spareparts are not a problem. Thera are a lot of importers and service workshops. These days it is quite easy to import stuff from US. I strated to purchase parts for my US cars before Internet days and then it took several weeks between questions and responses. Just to get a catalogue mailed took weeks! But it was equally fun back then because of the Christmas feeling when the package finally showed up. Transactions costs has also been lowered significantly.

Regarding my truck I love it and I hate it:) Love it because if its looks, appearance, usability, spacious comfort, great engine etc- Hate it because Ford marketing and engineers does not pay attention to details, are late in offer options available even in small japaneese cars. For example; why cant I order a rain sensor wiper? All cars today have it. Instead there is an old fashion turning knob on a stick. Why cant I order PDC also in the front of the truck. It is a $50 option from any after market! Why all these beeps and warnings for keys, lights, open doors etc? AND, since I haul a lot every day, why the crappy side mirrors? Foldable, yes, Extendable, yes but very limited viewing angle because of flat glass. The list goes on and on.. Nevertheless, I will defenitely upgrade when next SD comes to market because they are very personal.

Well this is not a SD-Forum so maybe another place is better suited for my truck thoughts?:)

Urban Z

Cadet
Port floor opened. Looks like loaves in a pan. Has to go

One loaf cut out. Very wet towards wood and bottom. Water has no way to drain. When I cut out the material in front of the gas tank, water keeps draining to this place all the time. Gasoline tank drained from 240 liters of gas/water mix. The tank will be removed whan wood/board has sbeen removed. Now it is stuck between foam.

Starbord shelf to be cut out. Works fine with a multi tool. No risk to cut thrugh the hull. Even the shelves are wet and bent due to this fact. I will save them as pattern for new (when the rebuild starts)

Urban Z

Cadet
Slowly I am digging deeper into the American. The gas tank is removed and also the floor under the tank. Maybe I will keep the tank or alternatively build a new Stainless steel tank. I got a little bit scared of using aluminum after I noticed that the table base was totaly corroded, moste likely from electrical currents in the hull/water. If same thing happens to the tank...

Urban Z

Cadet
The bottom under the tank was completely rotten

A rearward view after tank removal

I am planning to lift the top from the hull for easier disassembly. The deck reinforcements needs to be laminated in place and for that and other activities it seems easier to lift the deck off the boat. I just need to understand how to best remove the rubber strip in the aluminum around the boat. Any ideas/suggestions welcome

Watermann

The rub rail vinyl insert has rivets holding it in place which looks like you found and it should be one piece. Is there another cap plate with rivets holding the insert in? If not you should be able to pull the insert out.

Decker83

Commander
After removing any rivets or screws I sprayed wd40 and used a heat gun to warm up the rubber.. My deck boat and ss both came out easy using that method..
Welcome to the dry dock..​