'87 18' SS Suitable for Saltwater & Rough Water use?

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been enjoying my '87 Starcraft 18' SS w/ 110HP Johnson O/B that I picked up almost two years ago. It's always been a freshwater boat and that is all I've used it for, but would like to consider using it occasionally for some salmon fishing and crabbing on the Puget Sound.

Will the SS hull handle the rough water that can come up pretty suddenly out on the Puget Sound? Obviously I wouldn't plan to be out on rough days but want to be prepared when weather comes up or have to run out to pick up crab pots on less than ideal days. Haven't been up against rough water with it yet so wanted others thoughts.

I'd probably want to add a kicker motor for added peace of mind. I do have the bow mount electric trolling motor on it as second power source right now....might be tough to fight tidal flow with that electric motor.

I'm just trying to decide if this boat is the right style to be out in the salt doing some occasional fishing and crabbing. I would think a closed bow with a good top to keep out of the weather would be more ideal for potential rough water and weather, but I already have this open bow SS.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I've had my 18' Chieftain in legit 4' seas with short wave periods. I would never do it again intentionally, but it popped up like a cork on every new swell it hit. I didn't take any blue water over the bow....but I was at hull speed. A bow cover might be a good idea, though, without a self-bailing deck. My experience was still very humbling. 18' is too small for truly rough water IMHO. These hulls lack the beam to be able to take those waves broadside.

As for salt you'll just need to rinse it well and make sure the hull and engine anodes are good as well as an engine flush.

I'd take mine on the ocean if I were closer to one. A kicker would be a good idea, too, plus you can use it trolling for salmon.

Pick your days, read the tide tables, and you should be fine. Good luck!

dozerII

Admiral
I personally don't like open bow boats for big water, you can get into trouble real fast. A bow cover would help but as said by the guys above, these 18's would be pushing the safety envelope in big seas.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the responses! Sounds like my 18' SS is pushing the envelope in big water which is what I was thinking as well. Most saltwater use would be in the bays...but sometimes you have to traverse some water to get to them and with tides and weather I have to be prepared for some waves. Bow cover and kicker motor sound like minimums. It's a great family boat since we use it for tubing and cruising around on the lakes....just may have to consider another boat if I decide to start using it in the salt with any frequency.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Don't forget the wakes caused by some pretty good sized Ocean going vessels, they can be more of a hazard than the wave action. Puget sound can get whipped up in a hurry and I would hate to get caught out very far from port with tide pulling against wind. I'm thinking you would get wet pretty darn quick in that scenario.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Your boat wouldn't have any problems out there, I've kept smaller boats tied on a bouy out there all summer in front of the house. I would have had them out there longer but it was only a summer house.

18' is probably the average size boat out there much of the year.

For decades the marinas rented 16' open boats all year long.

Last edited: