Another Maine Starchief

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I have a large plastic black barrel, as most of you probably do, but this lower unit is longer than it will accept. I have been warned not to use muffs on these motors since as Chem says, the system needs the lower unit to be submerged to allow it to function correctly. Anyway. I will probably get a 100 gallon stock tank from Tractor Supply tomorrow, and I can use it for the times the dog gets into something she shouldn't.

Ron

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
You can't get real world RPM on muffs due to the lack of back pressure on the hub. I'm assuming Ron wants to see fuel flow data for the actual engine idle speed in the water.

Makes sense now. I know not to throttle up on them. Didnt think any further into it.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
The 100 gal stock tank is perfect for testing, since I can use the tilt to get it in and out of the water. I got it on sale at Tractor Supply for a surprisingly low price. I have it running nicely and starts right up. The engine functions display shows .3 GPH at no load 700 RPM idle speed, and .9 GPH at 2000 no load RPM. I have to use the throttle only button for that and it does not like it, and throws a throttle positions sensor alarm. So, looks like mid week might be the sea trial.

Ron
IMG_0595.JPG

I took a test video, but it was way too big for this forum. Is there any other way than you tube, photobucket or one of the other much too privacy invasive social media ways to get a video on here?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
YT is all any of us use for the most part a few guys use PB but it's the worst.

Sure would be great to see that super cool new tech purring away.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ron, looks like the perfect test tank. You can upload to YouTube, link it here, and you can choose to keep it "unlisted," which means that only people reading this thread and yourself will have access to it. That keeps the troglodyte commenters away.

It's a great video host once you figure out how to limit your audience.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great news on the sea trial.hope you figure something out to your satisfaction before seatrial. It will be a pretty boring first launch without videos. I'm not a memeber, but I've heard these Starmada folks can get pretty unpleasant if not appeased with a video every once and awhile. Watch your back buddy. Any strange cars slowing down as they go by your house? If so, check for hitches on the backs of these vehicles. Dead give away it's The Starmada. Good luck, we are all anxiously awaiting along with you.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
OK, to paraphrase Pogo, I have met Murphy and he is me. After running the motor in the barrel on the front tank with no problems, I decided to put some gas in the rear tank yesterday to prepare for sea trials today and check out the tank switching and gauge readings for both tanks. I got about 9 gallons in and started to smell gasoline. All my connections are above deck and accessible, so a quick check indicated it had to be below deck problems. After a panic search for a piece of fuel line long enough to connect to the rear pickup and out through the transom drain, I siphoned all but a quart or so out of the tank, but that had ended up in the bilge. It looks like my craigslist bargain 34 gal tank may have a hole or crack in it. I can't believe I did not test it before installing it, but it was poly and looked fine. After getting in a funk about the situation, I decided to sleep on it and this morning decided that since I still have a 27 gal tank up front, and I have the bilge pretty cleaned out by a good flushing, I am going to put off tearing the deck out to get the bad tank or whatever is wrong repaired or replaced. That can wait until the end of the season or at least until I have a good plan of what to do. The rear tank will be flotation for now. Still, I did have to take a few gas lines and under splashwell rigging out and so there will be a bit of a delay in getting splashed for the first time while I put things back in order and bleed the air out.

The silver lining is that I have made the deck and sidewall take out easier to do by using removable fasteners. And the deck could use a recoat of paint and non skid after construction scratches and a bit of red over spray.

Moral of the story, take nothing for granted.

Ron

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Especially when it comes to gasoline take nothing for granted, I guess fuel tank misery loves company and you don't have to wonder why that CL AH needed a new tank. ;)

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What a let down. You have such a nice set up going. Must feel like "a stick in the spokes" to your progress.

At least you know the builder and know how to fix the problem.

Good luck on your sea trials.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I guess I will have to wait until I can investigate more before I blame the guy I bought it from. It is possible that I may have holed it or cracked it during installation, though I can't imagine how. In any case, I am mad enough at myself that I will not try to make anyone else responsible for my carelessness. For now, I will be very sure there is no chance that any gasoline fumes remain. That is why a bit of a delay will be necessary. And yeah, I have been following your tank tribulations. At least you double checked after the initial repairs and can deal with it now, though it delays you a bit. You can imagine how I feel discovering leaks this much later in the process.

Ron

Decker83

Commander
Sorry to hear about the tank.. At least you were not at the gas station finding out about the leak..
Be real careful about the gas fumes..Don't want Murphy showing his ugly head with that..

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Let's hope at this point it was pilot error. Would hate for the tank to be bad. The damage is done and now all you can do is pray it is an easy fix and move on. Keeping my fingers crossed down here on Long Island.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ron, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a loose or bad fuel fitting. At least it's not pre-mix leaving oil everywhere it leaked.

I just added a racor filter/separator and noticed a fuel odor. My fittings weren't tight enough, they have to be really torqued down when first installed. Maybe you have a similar oversight? Here's hoping.

MARUSS

Seaman
Just glad you noticed it on land especially before you lit up that big fat celebratory stogy.
Good luck

pckeen

Commander
Your other option is just to use a temporary above deck tank - might be easier than re-doing the deck before the end of the season. Love the build and looking forward to the splash.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Well, today was the big day. With the help of my friend Bud we put in at Richmond on the Kennebec river and did a ten mile round trip up river and then circumnavigated Swan island. About 20 miles total. The motor ran flawlessly, even though I had air in the lines for the first couple of minutes. There was a bit of a chop since the since the wind was blowing against tidal current, but I was pleased with the ride. At 20 MPH everything was very comfortable. I did not take the time to play with trim much, but on a sheltered stretch in the lee of Swan we hit 39 MPH on GPS . When I am a bit more familiar with everything, and get the paddle wheel installed I can look at pitch, RPM's etc. but for now I am well pleased. I had drained the rear tank, so we just ran on the 18 gal I put in the tank in the front. Bud took some pictures on his camera, but I was excited enough that I only took a few, and they are nothing exciting, but proof it happened. I will try to get more next time out, and download the ones Bud took. Hurrah!

IMG_0597 (Large).JPG IMG_0600 (Large).JPG IMG_0601 (Large).JPG

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Congrats OH. Good for you. It is was a well deserved victory for you and I hope you soaked it all in. There will never again be a first ride. I am guilty of not taking enough pics as well. 39 without trimming is awesome!!! Enjoy yourself. You earned it and then some.