'76 Holiday 14 monster

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up this 1976 Starcraft Holiday 14 earlier this and my mind hasnt stopped spinning about the different options and/or approaches I can take getting her into shape. This will be my 3rd project tinny, the first a 12ft mirro craft that I took from being a garden planter box in a friends yard to a mean lake fishing machine. My last build was a 1993 Monarch Pro 1900 (Starcraft Superfisherman 1900);
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...hull-repair/603201-93-monark-pro-1900-rebuild

So while I do have some experience, it certainly isnt close to what many of you have.

This Holiday 14, as you can see by the pics, has had some cosmetic work performed by a previous owner, in their attempts to turn it into a more viable fishing platform. The bow has been cut open and the winshield is missing. That being said, I think in sticking to my original plan of flipping it for some $$$, rather than a traditional resto I'm going to run with the open bow concept and install a casting deck up front. I know many traditionalist on here are cringing at this point, but not being made of money or currently working, I have to rely on what parts and materials I do have access to. Also, living in whats refered to as Californias River City, there is a much greater demand for fishing boats then there is for restored classics.

The good
1) Hull is straight with no leaks
2) Trailer needs only new tires, 2 rollers replaced and a new winch strap
3) Price was only $500 because motor is shot

The Bad
1) Bow cut open and windshield gone
2) Transom has been "redneck engineered" to mount a long shaft
3) Transom is original wood and needs replacing

Everything else is simple work such as new floor board, new wiring, maybe some new paint topside, properly repatch a few holes in transom, and maybe get rid of cable/pulley steering. My first thought was to cut the dash crossmember in half, building a support to keep the starboard/driver side intact, and remove the port side for easy access to the bow casting deck. This will however require quite a bit of alum work on the port side as the gunwale meets the bow section. It also may weaken some of the structure. The other option is to leave it intact and build in a step from the inside to get over the dash to the bow, which isnt that high to begin with.

So let's hear from the experts. Im open to suggestions, critique, etc.. And since scrolling through the hundreds of SC projects on here is nearly impossible, if someone has seen a similar project attempted and can dirsect me to the thread that would be welcome as well.

~RNP

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to channel tin redneck!

Looks like some serious redneck engineering on your little holly. Everything from 2x6's to OSB :eek:

You have your work cut out for you with all the extras the PO added and to me your plans sound legit especially considering the damage already done. It's about your only option to create an open fishing platform out of her.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, you certainly have a project! I know what you mean about color combos and such, I am in the same "boat" as there are so many choices!

I can only offer this, take your time, tear it down all the way to rebuild her correctly, and take lots of pictures to post here, lol.

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Time has been something I have not had a lot of after bringing her home but this past wednesday I had an open day and figured I better get something done before the significant other starts asking "if youre not going to work on it, why is it in the garage". LOL! First chore was to get the anchor off the back......errrr, I mean motor. I have it up on CL hoping someone needs parts but until then its just in the way. But the next question is, "What do I do with it?" So after a little searching I found the plans to build a stand at an affordable price. Thanks to member dh4winn79:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-instructional

And within an hour I had a portable stand.

And within another 15min I had the motor off

Here is a pic of the redneck transom once the motor was removed

My first thought, once the motor was off was to take it down and drop it in the water and see if she takes on water. But I quickly changed my mind deciding the best course would be to strip it down, rebuild the transom and then dunk it. This way I have a better view of the entire boat to spot leaks and at the same time check that the transom rebuild with the holes filled doesnt leak. So the destruction began.

One of the issues the PO mentioned and pointed out was the warping of the floor he had installed in spring 2014. The plywood had bowed up towards the bow by about 6in, but it was his belief that it was primarily caused from being outside uncovered since then. But what I discovered once I removed the floor was the center support piece was laying down on its side, rivets popped from the "ribs" and the floor only screwed down along the outside edges. Im guessing they didnt know it had come lose or they didnt know how to Rivet it back into place. Either way, a simple fix when the time comes. You can see in this pic the support down the center as well as a severe lack of foam. Although, it does not appear as any had been removed because the poured foam showed no indication of breaking. So I must assume this was all they used from the factory

Foam and liner out. Splashwell removed. Mess to be cleaned

A quick look at the foam from a couple places and no indications of extended water exposure

A start at scraping out the gunk and scrubbing things down

To this point, the only thing I have done to the mess in the bow is remove the OSB and sit and stare at what I have to work with. The concept that the PO was going for was fairly solid, but the craftsmanship is questionable. The deck supports are tied in nicely to the floor ribs but the hardware wasnt stainless so its already corroded. And the size and height of a casting deck was never defined so supports vary in lengths and locations. So for now it will be food for thought while I decide on how to proceed with the bow. One consideration is using the basic design already started but switching from 2x4 supports to aluminum channel or tubing.

Recap of work so far;
engine stand built and motor removed
cable/pulley steering removed because cables corroded and pulleys cracking
Redneck transom bracket removed
Splashwell removed
Floor board removed
Side boards removed (with exception on one with controls still mounted.
All wiring removed
Foam and liner removed
Began scraping and scrubbing

Short term plans when I have time:
Finish cleanup
pressure wash
remove/rebuild/replace transom wood
fill holes in transom.
Gluvit rivets and seems
water test

Random thoughts about the project;
PO used 1in ply for floor. I plan on using sheets of pink foam to fill void under floor and with center support properly in place I believe I can get away with 3/4in. Also, previous floor started flush with the transom with a cutout for the transom support. Im considering expanding that cutout several inches on the starboard side and installing a bilge pump with a through hull fitting drilled on the starboard stern, visible from driver seat when pumping. Still undecided if Im going to repaint entire boat, however, much of topside will have to be done. Im fairlly certain that with the casting deck up front any support currently from the dash going all the way across will no longer be necessary so Im leaning towards cutting that in half, supporting around the steering console and turning it into a side console "walleye" style boat. I can bring the casting deck back further and provide additional storage underneath. I have plenty of time so have yet to determine how to cover the floors, or if I even will. Cheap carpet is an option but personally I hate carpet in a fishing boat. Vinyl is a bit expensive for a "project" that Im flipping for cash. But paints tend to peel. Decisions decisions.

~RNP

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Dang....Great progress RNP! The P.O. should noy have been allowed power tools...or any tools for that matter :facepalm:

For a rig that size, 3/4" will still be bit overkill. That looks to be a 75/76 model year...styrofoam sheets and 1/2 ply were "standard issue". Someone added the pour-in and thick-ply somewhere down the road.

Its a shame that old johnny isnt working....is that al 35hp? 2cyl johnny-rudes are great motors. Still too long for your rig but might fetch better resto-$ if it were a simple fix. Have you figured out whats wrong?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good so far on the tear down as nothings been found that sounds serious, just the normal stuff. :thumb:

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good so far on the tear down as nothings been found that sounds serious, just the normal stuff. :thumb:

It's funny how when you do your first one or two, everything seems like a big deal and a huge hurdle. But now, I find something out of the ordinary, put a little thought to it and it just becomes a minor inconvenience.

No work done on her this weekend so no updates. Tomorrows project is garage cleanup. As I tore it apart i I just set things to side in no order and eventually it piled up and is preventing me access to walk around boat. A cluttered work space is not a safe work space. Not time mention, I have also blocked in my other boat and the Harley and need to access them for at least one salmon trip this week.

~RNP

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its a shame that old johnny isnt working....is that al 35hp? 2cyl johnny-rudes are great motors. Still too long for your rig but might fetch better resto-$ if it were a simple fix. Have you figured out whats wrong?

No compression and all the wiring has been ripped out. I can turn the flywheel with one finger without straining. Ive got it on CL as a parts motor and if it doesnt sell that way I will start stripping it down to put on eBay.

Very little progress this week until tonight. I was able to get the transom out to start reworking this weekend. Ive got pics but having issues opening photobucket recently.

One question for you experts, my transom was 3 piece...Main section and then the top corners were each separate. However, the worst rotting I found was between the bottom of those corners and top of the main section where water obviously got in. When I construct the new, should I stay with the three piece concept and just seal it well or should I make it one piece? I didnt see any reason other than ease of assembly to make it 3 piece, unless Im missing something.

~RNP

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
cant tell from your pic if your gunnels have been bent or cut to drop one solid one in or not. I think most here drop one solid piece back in when redoing. but if your flipping it, Id do the 3 piece one just so you dont have to cut or bend any more than you have to.

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will drop in. I have popped the rivets on the gunnels far enough forward that they pull to the sides for full access. Also, since my plans havent been completed on how much work (ie paint etc) Im going to put into it, I can always remove them completely if I need to. No big deal, a few rivets and a couple screws on the rub rail. And that will probably encourage me to to do it right and remove, clean and paint it all. As much as Id like to flip and get the money ASAP, I enjoy the work and I enjoy seeing it completed well. The boat was hillbilly/redneck when I got it, doesnt mean I have to complete it that way. LOL!!

~RNP

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for no recent updates guys, but some medical issues for myself and a recent surgery for my girlfriend have kept my attention in other places. Now we trudge through the holidays and the boat just sits in the garage a little lower on priority list. But have no fear, after the first of the year I plan on jumping back into it. stay tuned

~RNP