1983 Starcraft 221v wiring help needed

Sarge.51795

Recruit
Was member many years ago. Now back with new member name Sarge51795. Have had 5 starcrafts over the years an have rescued a 1983 221v from salvage and have spent couple years refurbishing it to solid usable condition to again get on great lakes( Ludington mich) again. 04 near death ACC disabled me an taken years to relearn to walk unassisted. Love chasing salmon an want to do it again. Used to be able to remember the most minute detail of a Starcraft but closed head injury has caused some memory loss. What I need to finish my rehab project is some wiring info I can't find anywhere. It's the wiring diagram for the dash including the accessory panel switches for bilge/blower/lights/wipers etc using the Starcraft wiring harness. This one has had some prior user "fixes ??" that aren't right an I'm poping breakers as wire of any color was used. I'm also dealing with issue of trim not working correctly. Everything else including fishing equip is ready to go an it's late in season but am dying to wet it this year assuming health issues allow. Please help Starcraft lovers. Sorry no photos can't seem to figure out how to get out of phone to post yet.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I think it might be easiest and less of a headache to take each circuit and just re do it...with the standard boating colors....might cost you a few hundred$ in wire....but at least you or your helpers will be able to reach in there in a few years and fix or repair it easily because you know what is what.... troubleshooting Gerry rigged stuff can be fruitless

bob

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I think it might be easiest and less of a headache to take each circuit and just re do it...with the standard boating colors....might cost you a few hundred$ in wire....but at least you or your helpers will be able to reach in there in a few years and fix or repair it easily because you know what is what.... troubleshooting Gerry rigged stuff can be fruitless

bob

Agreed. Would probably be far less difficult in the long run.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Chasing out wires can be frustrating but I found it was pretty easy to look at the sender color on the object you're wiring. For example say the wire leading into the harness from the blower is brown. Find the brown on the end of the harness and hook it up to your switch panel and then test or have a 12v hot that you can complete the circuit with to see if the motor runs. You're not going to find an exact diagram of the wire and even if you did you would be doing some of the same color searching. I had to cut back all of the PO's "fixes" to the junctions as to show the correct wire skin colors. If they needed to have length added then I added my own with some good Anchor marine connectors and epoxy lined heat shrink tube.

If breakers are flipping then you have something that's a direct short that should be tracked down first off.

For the trim you'll have to be more specific about your SC and what motor you're working on.

Sarge.51795

Recruit
Thanks for the input guys. Real hard to get under/down to trace the wires. ACC left me with total loss of all I owned by those" taking care of me", no one knew at time that they were te ones that created my "ACC" so I couldn't audit books at end of year until they'd finished cleaning me out, metal rods in my back an no feeling in half my body, metal knee, bad vertigo and and ankle that's mostly metal. So a few hundred to me now with only disability checks is a fortune an working on boat takes me forever. Can't get down or bend very well. Wish I could figure out how to get my photos out of my iPhone/iCloud to my post. I'm pretty proud of her for a guy that Dr's said only had a 20% chance of ever doing better than getting from bed to wheelchair for rest of my life back in 04. Hopefully there's still someone out there tha has what I need. Even being able to tell me what colored wire goes where using the Starcraft OEM harness that I'm still using. Ive peeled back the covering a little but fadings made some colors the same as under dash. The I/O is OMC and it's the GM 3.0 with side mounted OMC single side throttle with trim switch on left end of throttle lever using Select Trim option.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Youch, it sounds like your a pretty tough guy to be busted up like that and still have the drive to get out in your boat, my hats off to ya Sarge!

Wish I was your neighbor, would love to come over and give you a hand with your SC. What part of the country do you live anyway if you don't mind me asking?

As far as the colors go a lot of it has to do with industry standard sorta like trailer wiring, a Chris Craft will have all the same wire color coding as a SC. It's era that concerns me, I'm not sure about when they started that practice.

On the OMC stringer, I don't have a clue about them but there's an OMC forum here where guys can give you the answers about your trim.

64osby

Admiral
Sarge - Welcome back.

It is great to hear from someone who puts forth all the effort to make it happen. Whether it be learning to walk again or getting back on the water.

I'll help when able.

Never dealt with an I/O or an OMC so I'll leave it to those in the know.