Rib drains

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So...looked at an 1989 Islander today that had epoxy lumps shoved into every weep hole on the external ribs. It looks like the boat was slipped a good portion of the time. Why would anyone do that?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The limber holes were all plugged with epoxy? I guess they wanted the water to go over the ribs to get to the bilge. I think someone talked about doing that but there weren't limber holes so they wanted a water ramp.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The chines that run fore and aft along the bottom and sides of the hull?

Mistaken assumption that water is getting into the hull thru the little holes intended to let water out of the chine.

Few know that from the bow rise back, the bottom of the hull is 1 piece of tin.

dozerII

Admiral
The chines that run fore and aft along the bottom and sides of the hull?

Mistaken assumption that water is getting into the hull thru the little holes intended to let water out of the chine.

Few know that from the bow rise back, the bottom of the hull is 1 piece of tin.

And with that said^^ that's not a good thing cuz with the center keel it is not sealed to hull bottom and by blocking the holes you are just trapping water and sand and salt in there, causing corrosion.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I recall there being a thread or 2 discussing that SC may have a mistake by adding those chine holes...I can't remember exactly what problem(s) they cause...something along the lines of causing the keel rivets to loosen over time & leak. :noidea: Do late model SFMs have them?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
The limber holes were all plugged with epoxy? I guess they wanted the water to go over the ribs to get to the bilge. I think someone talked about doing that but there weren't limber holes so they wanted a water ramp.

that was me, But that was on the INSIDE of the boat. the OP is talking about the holes in the strakes on the OUTSIDE of the boat.....

I eventually pried up the lateral ribs in the center to allow more water flow.... to get to the bilge.

I bet the drain holes in the strakes are so water isn't trapped and then in winter it could expand and damage the hull...water could get in down the strake where there is not as good a fit to the hull and the water runs to a low spot where the strake is making great contact with the hull..and thus the water wouldn't drain......that's my guess... I think people have to look outside their own boating use, and incorporate the uses that all the boaters combined might experience!!! in different parts of the world.

bob

Watermann

So...looked at an 1989 Islander today that had epoxy lumps shoved into every weep hole on the external ribs. It looks like the boat was slipped a good portion of the time. Why would anyone do that?

Ok, terminology the ribs are in the inside and the keels that run length wise on the outside need to drain. My guess why the guy plugged them it is that he was ignorant. I saw on another guys resto thread where a PO dufus welded them all up. :confused:

classiccat

I recall there being a thread or 2 discussing that SC may have a mistake by adding those chine holes...I can't remember exactly what problem(s) they cause...something along the lines of causing the keel rivets to loosen over time & leak. :noidea: Do late model SFMs have them?

I found this thread while eating my Ham and Cheese sammich :hungry:

Leaking Starcraft (See Post#39).

Watermann

Yeah manufacturers always go around admitting to people they screwed up / created flaws. That way 10's of 1000's of people can bankrupt them filing lawsuits. I could argue with that guys post all day... :lol:

The nailed it as far as the rivets along the keel strip leaking is because the keel strip gets the wholly living crud beat out of it not that it's too thick and the bottom is too thin... both are .090 and the keel strip is riveted to the inside ribs too not just the thin bottom AL.

Last edited:

classiccat

Yeah manufacturers always go around admitting to people they screwed up / created flaws. That way 10's of 1000's of people can bankrupt them filing lawsuits. I could argue with that guys post all day... :lol:

The nailed it as far as the rivets along the keel strip leaking is because the keel strip gets the wholly living crud beat out of it not that it's too thick and the bottom is too thin... both are .090 and the keel strip is riveted to the inside ribs too not just the thin bottom AL.

the said "Starcraft Engineer" and the Starcraft Legal team clearly were not on the same page :lol: