what stainless steel 1/4 -20 screws do you use on the transom?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
are you guys using hex heads alone? with washers?, or pan heads???

or is there a specialty head screw that gives more support???

I thought I saw a post where the pan head had a recess under it for an o-ring!!!!!!!

looking for a source as well/

thanks

bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bob that really depends on the size OB you're trying to bolt on to the transom. 1/4 X 20 sounds pretty light for mounting an OB unless it is a really small engine. I would think that stainless steel is probably the best material and a fine thread standard headed bolt as well for a better hold. And I would think a good coat of most any type sealing compound on the threads would seal any water out. I would also suspect folks are using larger fender type washers on the inside to help spread out the torque if they are not using a buffer type plate. And most assuredly locking type nuts as well. At least that is what I would use.... JMHO!

64osby

Admiral
On my small tinny I used some 1/4 x 20 x 2 1/2" phillips truss head SS with SS nylocks. Added SS washers on the nut side. Had a big bag left over from a project, free was the ticket for me.

GM - Pretty sure he is asking about mounting the transom wood, not the motor.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah the 1/4" machine screws that go through the side transom brackets. Use phillips head as Os said with the washers on the inside against the wood. Drill holes squirt in some 5200, smear it around with something smaller leaving some on the outside edge to seal the head. Then hold the head in place and turn the nyloc nut on the inside so you don't spin the 5200 out rather it squeezes and it won't chip or mar any paint doing it that way too.

I wouldn't use rubber o rings as they'll rot out sooner or later where 5200 wont.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
On my small tinny I used some 1/4 x 20 x 2 1/2" phillips truss head SS with SS nylocks. Added SS washers on the nut side. Had a big bag left over from a project, free was the ticket for me.

GM - Pretty sure he is asking about mounting the transom wood, not the motor.

uss head is nice...but hard to find in SS in 1/4-20 at 2.5" long!!!!!!!!!!

Id really prefer torx head....Philips strip so easy when the bit starts jumping out of the head...

I am certainly going to use some bracing inside, but no on all the bolts.

bob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:deadhorse: Bob I'm sorry but there would be way less confusion if every nut, bolt and rivet on your rebuild wasn't a totally new thread. I find myself having to think pretty hard about what it is you're working on.

If I might offer a new suggestion to put a link in a sig line linking your thread so there's some reference to your holiday easily referenced.

64osby

Admiral
Torx or Allen head would work just fine.

The key with phillips is to use the slotted side to hold the MS and a drill or ratchet on the nut side to tighten it. I try not to tighten from the phillips side.

As I said the MS I had were left over from a project. I had several hundred remaining from the several thousand I started with.

Online purchase might help or contact your local industrial fastener house.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
64osby, I guess I need to stop assuming. You know what they say about assuming... :facepalm: