Help me to identify and repair my Starcraft Starchief V

Ironmonger

Cadet
stern drive serial number is 2796487 placing it in the 64 to 72 range in the identification chart I found. It seems like our style of chief was introduced in 68?, when the last year of the swooped side window was made is the hard part for me to track down so far. I'm guessing 1972 but just guessing.:cool:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
My '74 has swooped windows...could be the last year before they went angular.

Edit: I did a little googling and '75 was the last year for those side windows.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Well the MC parts page goes back to 1972 and your serial shows no parts found so... of course that doesn't mean much because most all the Alpha parts work on the older pre Alpha R and MR drives.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
From looking at the brochures available in the Starcraft forum, the first year of the rounded sliding windows was 1967. If you have original paint, then that may be a clue to manufacturing date since Starcraft seemed to have a single color with a change every year. My Starchief is a '67. The Burgundy paint has been removed from the sides, and what is left has faded to a kind of red/brown:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...rcraft-boats/10030868-another-maine-starchief

It looks like we will start our projects at the same time, though mine is an outboard model. I hope you are as excited about your little cuddy cruiser as I am.

Ron

North Beach

Commander
This Starchief is a 1969. Bermuda Cream hull and topside. Black vinyl cabin sides and Atlantic Blue interior. Came standard with the 120 HP Mercruiser I/O.

Each year had a specific color pattern. Another giveaway is the hull type. Deep V, Semi V, etc.

There is an old thread in this forum that talks about aging the different models and please remember that some of our brochures here are mislabeled as far as the year goes.

Hope this helps!