New starcraft owner!

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Well, after a long wait my uncle has finally decided to sell me his 1988 Islander 221v with 4.3 Mercruiser. Not having a garage or carport to keep this under my first order of business is finding some sort of cover for it. It's coming with a snap in cockpit cover but of course I want to protect the entire topside of the boat and as much of the sides as possible from the sun/rain. Any ideas on solutions other than a $1,000+ custom cover? Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of her. :) Anybody want a nice wood free 2008 plastic boat with under 100 hrs that looks like new? lol.

Attachments

• photo228726.jpg
    photo228726.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nice looking Islander!

I've given up on covers that don't last and I'm not spending the $$$ for a custom job. I use large tarps from HF and get about 2 years out of them and it's still more cost effective.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the advice, I live a mere 20 minute drive from a HF. :D

I have to admit, I may be sleeping in the islander for a short while, the wife is a tad upset to see her "pretty bowrider" be replaced by the big tin.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Try billboard vinyl:

http://www.billboardtarps.com/

note that some have pipe seams at the edges and some don't

I have a link to a reusable shrink wrap cover place too. Cant seem to find it though...

Welcome to the Tin-Sanity.

Hope you're having a mild end to the summer. Sleeping in a tin boat that sits in full sun all day might be a tad toasty for my comfort ;)

EDIT: might be Transhield reusable shrink wrap cover

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If your zoning allows it, maybe a steel carport shed would work. They run $700 - $900 around here.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the advice, I live a mere 20 minute drive from a HF. :D

I have to admit, I may be sleeping in the islander for a short while, the wife is a tad upset to see her "pretty bowrider" be replaced by the big tin.

Ooops! Hope you work that out. Or convince her it's called MBS and incurable and keep both of them. :D

I use the silver ones because I don't want a FEMA roof over my Starcraft. :smile:

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Ooops! Hope you work that out. Or convince her it's called MBS and incurable and keep both of them. :D

I use the silver ones because I don't want a FEMA roof over my Starcraft. :smile:

I wish I could keep both of them but there is a lot of depreciating money tied up in that nice plastic boat. It sure does ride nice though!

Great ideas on the billboard tarps and the carport, I'd like to eventually have the carport be my permanent solution, i'll check the HOA rules on that.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada!

Great looking Islander, looking forward to seeing some more pics.

fetch

I have a feeling once she goes out in the Islander she'll forget all about that itchy open bow splasher.

I second the tarp to cover the boat, cheap insurance that works just as good as an expensive cover.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think that for a trailered boat that has a canvas enclosure like yours, a canopy/carport is the best option. You just roll it under and you're done. There are a couple of companies that make kits to use aluminum electrical conduit and heavy tarp for a seasonal canopy. This is what I'll be doing next year...and you don't have to worry about zoning because they're temporary.

customer_photo11.jpg

I say this as someone who just had an enclosure made, and it's a major PITA to take it all apart, roll up the vinyl curtains in bed sheets, and then put the tarp over the boat. It will add a few years to your canvas whichever way you decide to go.

Ugh, just saw that you said "HOA." My condolences.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking at the pic, I see there's a steel carport behind the Islander, I take it it's not tall enough?