Starcraft 18' Super Sport

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All,

I'm thinking about re-joining the Tin Addiction fleet.

I have my eye on a locally for sale 1975 18' Super Sport I/O. It currently has a 140 MerCruiser. it seems to run OK. However, if I'm going to restore this thing, i would think about re-powering. New I/O packages are actually cheaper than similar HP outboards.

I used to own a 1976 version of this boat, in outboard, so i know the hull very well.

Questions:

1. Is a 4.3L (MPI 220) too much for this boat? HP and weight?
2. Is the 3.0L (MPI 135) worth the cost (about $1500.00) over the TKS 3.0L?

Thoughts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey FleetWin, Sorry but when it comes to "Tin Cans" I'm kinda like this guy...

Schulz-I-know-nothing.jpg

dozerII

Admiral
I personally think that the 4.3l is too much motor for the 18 SS, they are pretty wide and make using the rear seats impossible, plus they are over 200 lbs heavier than the 3l. I have had three 18ft Starcrafts with the 4cly Mercruisers and I think they work fine. If you went with the higher HP model it will do almost anything you want. Just my 2cents.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Let me move this over to the Starcraft forum, you'll be more likely to get some answers...

IMO, no, the 4.3L wont be too much for an 18ft SS. But as an open bow tin boat, the smaller 3L will still be plenty.

But have no real basis for that opinion other what I've seen done here.

Not a GM guy or an I/O owner but doesnt the 4.3 come in 2 different hp ratings?

I think Watermann is running the higher hp 4.3 in his 18ft Chieftain.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks Glen

Please take Glen's advice over mine. He's done several tin I/O boats

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The 4.3LX 205 HP is what I upgraded to in my 18' Chief. Not that the 4 bangers aren't a good choice for a light 18' SS. I just had it in my mind that since I needed to have a donor why not get something that I would never wish I had more. Not one regret so far, in fact the monstrous power isn't at all too much for the Chief. She is a little stern heavy so I went with smart tabs which was a perfect fix.

I had to make my own motor mount beds for the conversion from IL4 to the V6. Yeah it's wider than the 4 banger but shorter only having 3 cylinders. I didn't plan on having jump seats on either side of a dog house anyway, the admiral had ordered a sun deck for her to enjoy.

It's also nice having a mid-ship mounted belly tank with lots of fuel especially if you like hearing a 4BBL howl... you'll pay for it. :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would post the 3.0 question in the MC forum, Fleet. I think some over there have said the TKS is problematic. The only new 3.0 is MPI now, unless you find one in the supply chain somewhere.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^^ 17 pounds lighter than a 4.3, 30 more horses and not truck motor based, marine all the way. Only drawback is it's a new engine and may have some bugs.

dozerII

Admiral
^^^^ 17 pounds lighter than a 4.3, 30 more horses and not truck motor based, marine all the way. Only drawback is it's a new engine and may have some bugs.

Hope it goes better and ends up with a better reputation than the 470:eek:

Alumarine

Captain
Hope it goes better and ends up with a better reputation than the 470:eek:

My thought as well. Or the Mercruiser Vazer...

I can get 40mph with the 3.0. in my 18' fully loaded. And there's a bit more to get out of it.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks All.

The 18' Chief rebuild is what got me thinking about the 4.3L. However, the Chief does have that cuddy up there balancing the weight somewhat.

I also thought about going to a sun pad vs. jump seats.

Correct, thee are two 4.3's. TKS and MPI. 190 and 220 HP respectively.

Might as well go MPI, the weight is just about the same.

I'll let y'all know if I take the plunge.

Thanks again.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did anyone with an 18' SS ever install a belly fuel tank for better weight distribution??

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think dozer did, but mot not sure which build

Last edited: