18 FT Holiday looking to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond2000

Seaman
Hello I am looking at 2 star craft Holiday 18 FT boats both are almost the same price
both inboard/outboard - stern drive

the difference is
ONE is a 1978 and the other is a 69
I have NOT gone and looked at ether boat yet just pictures

the 69 IS a Mercury outdrive and in the pics LOOKS to be better cared for AND is closer to me
the 78 I can NOT see the stern so am guessing / hoping for a Mercury (OMC would make the 69 a winner)
the 78 has ONE pic and is shrink wrapped for storage and the trailer paint has "failed" and the boat has a clear WATER line on the hull

I want to know the differences /opinion between a 69 and a 78

for me the pros goes
3 piece windshield
NEWER out drive / engine

looks in better shape in PICS
closer to my house

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing can replace eyes on. Sounds like you know what your looking for.

64osby

Admiral
120, 140,or 160 motors?

Where are you located?

What is the use going to be?

Welcome to the site. :welcome:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ask for more pix and the make of the engine/outdrive on the 78 and go look at the 69. Decide if you want to even go look at the 78 while you're looking at the 69. Unless the 69 is cheap (sub $700) it's likely to still be for sale in most parts of the US, even if it takes you a week or 2 to go see the 78.

If you like the 69, you could still use the 78 option to bargain on the price of the 69

Unless the 69 windshield is perfect, finding a replacement that's operable instead of fixed is an option. Many have had to replace them and been able to find one on ebay or craigslist

Unless the 78's motor and outdrive are currently running and can be run when you go look at it, the newer driveline, Mercruiser or not, doesn't really add a whole lot of value if it has to be replaced, just like an OMC wouldn't add any value. Esp since you'd have to fill in the big ole' hole in the back if it's an OMC.

Good luck and post the pix or links to the ads. To date, I'm not aware of anyone losing out on a boat they're interested to another member by posting the ad

Richmond2000

Seaman
120, 140,or 160 motors?

Where are you located?

What is the use going to be?

Welcome to the site. :welcome:

Hello and thanks for the response
the inter webs appeared to eat my welcome post
I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
my usage "goal" is casting fishing / trolling / cruising around and some tubing / NO skiing / wake boarding ETC
running on the RED river and versus lakes in E manitoba / western Ontario (have friends with cabins)

the 78
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...es/1079357283?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
the 69
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...at/1078017608?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
the 78 is a 140 other does NOT say

Richmond2000

Seaman
Nothing can replace eyes on. Sounds like you know what your looking for.

my primary "hope" for this thread was to find about differences between years IE newer or older better?

and for what I am looking for is a 18 foot range ALUMINUM sterndrive and the holiday "fits the bill" AND budget + is a very common boat in my parts

dozerII

Admiral
They are both great hulls, the biggest difference will be the engine and drives, the 69 is going to have a lot of parts that are NLA, so if it hasn't been very well maintained you may end up have to upgrade the engine and drive. Check them both real close along the sides of the hull at the spray rail for signs of cracking or old repairs, if they have been used lots, and hard on big water like Lake Winnipeg it can be a common problem.

Watermann

One of the big differences too might be that the 69 Holly would have a bow hatch rather than the split windshield. The 69 would also have the earlier Merc MR and the 78 would be the MR1 which has interchangeable parts with the newer and abundant Alpha One.

Richmond2000

Seaman
No Title

so an update + " back story"

I was planning on buying a starcraft after I sold one of my pick ups and the truck is yet to sell
BUT today the 69 I was asking about WAS 2K asking and he dropped it to 1K SOOOO..........
she followed me home
and so far it looks like I SCORED well

Attachments

• photo230123.JPG
    photo230123.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 1

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats!!! Have you had it on the water already?

Richmond2000

Seaman
got her HOME 4 HRs ago and not even put a battery in it yet
that is the plan for tomorrow

the "WET" picture is one from the sellers AD
as it was dark by the time I got home

Last edited:

Watermann

:welcome: to the Starmada!

Looking forward to seeing some pics :thumb:

Richmond2000

Seaman
Looking forward to seeing some pic

there will be more to come
this forum got me this far so I will deff "give back"

dozerII

Admiral
Congrats on the purchase, as the rest have said looking forward to seeing more of her.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.