'75 Starcraft SS. Replacing the dashes. What is the best material?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi from Atlanta. The picture you see here is the wood dash of my '75 Starcraft. Obviously not the original piece, but it was fine until this summer when the wood started to split along the grain horizontally. Emergency measure: I applied two nickel house numbers to stop the splitting from worsening, but I'm going to replace it (and the other side while I'm at it). This is not a showcase boat, but I don't want it to be ugly either. What is the best material to replace this dash with? A one-piece board like is on there currently, or I've been reading about marine lumber like StarBoard. Any advice? Thanks.

photo228149.jpg

Attachments

• attach10017677.jpg
    attach10017677.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo228150.jpg
    photo228150.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo228151.jpg
    photo228151.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If it were me I would use some good plywood, it's way stronger than a board and won't split. Cut to shape and the needed holes, then seal the plywood and finish by covering it with some carbon fiber wrap.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Vinyl thats used to make car wraps or signs w a faux carbon fiber look

Look for a local vinyl graphics/sign company or order it online

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, that's an interesting idea. Just watched some videos and the finished product good. Couple of questions, though:
1. What would I apply to the dash once it's wrapped in the carbon fiber? A marine lacquer? Like, 20 coats?
2. What about drilling into the dash at a later date? For example, I want to add a panel or a switch or a gauge. Would I need to redo the carbon fiber wrap? Would the stuff fray or come apart?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Yeah, that's an interesting idea. Just watched some videos and the finished product good. Couple of questions, though:
1. What would I apply to the dash once it's wrapped in the carbon fiber? A marine lacquer? Like, 20 coats?
2. What about drilling into the dash at a later date? For example, I want to add a panel or a switch or a gauge. Would I need to redo the carbon fiber wrap? Would the stuff fray or come apart?

secure it from the backside if you do not wish to see the fasteners.

i never worked with the stuff but would imagine that pre-scoring the area with a utility knife before drilling will prevent the bits from catching/pulling/fraying the material.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wouldn't put a varnish sort of sealer on the wrap, I would just put the 303 Aerospace protectant on it when you do the rest of the boat seats and such.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Hi DJ. I'm in Atlanta as well.
Just a thought - regarding fixin the dash - How about remove it, sand it, glue and clamp it, and replace it after coating the crap out of it with your sealent of choice.

The dash appears to be a nice piece of stained oak. It was probably not dried all the way before it was sealed up.
COmmon problem down here in the south. Some super skilled wood workers I know, bring in their work in their airconditioned house for a month before they make it into something special. Lower humidity inside.

Strengthening the board with some resin and glass/carbon fibre/ whatever is also a good idea.

good luck!

64osby

Admiral
Plywood would be my choice for a quick fix. Other ideas that come to mind are vinyl coated plywood or if you could find a large piece of thick plastic (maybe scrap).

Dimensional wood (plank) will be subject to splitting no matter what type you use.

I would also put a few coats of marine varnish on the ply before you apply any vinyl wrap.

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I never followed up here about this project. I wound up keeping the wood as someone above suggested. Glue & clamps to close the crack, then primer & paint. Big improvement! Also note new kickass gauge-style stereo unit, outdoor carpet on the dash surfaces, and a new shiny & heavy, stainless steel steering wheel. (I kept the numbers on the crack area, in case the wood felt like coming apart again.

Attachments

• photo231224.jpg
    photo231224.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 8

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Pretty snazzy right there! :thumb:
fetch

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Nice Job.
Now, if it ever stops raining, you can get her out on the water before it gets too cold!