The Avocado Floats!

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does it count as a splash if it is not a restore? Some of you may recall that I picked her up last Spring, and life just got a little busy. I was finally able to do a little maintenance on the old Merc and get her in the water. I'm pleasantly surprised that she ran great, and the little 65hp Merc pushed us along at 28mph (gps).

64osby

Admiral
Buying a water ready boat that doesn't need an entire tear down is a rarity.

SPLASH

Consider it an honor.:thumb:

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

She's actually in pretty good shape. Solid floor and transom without a lot of big dents. The bow plate has taken some scrapes, but no obviously loose rivets. A few spots where the paint was rubbed through on docks. Not really pretty, but doesn't need much for now. The motor was the big question--how it would run and how well it would push the 18'. Pleasantly surprised on both.

Attachments

• photo227114.jpg
    photo227114.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 8

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, we sat at the dock long enough to be sure there wasn't water pouring in anywhere. We were out for a little over an hour and didn't take on enough water for the bilge to pump it. On a Sunday afternoon, at 100 degrees F, the traffic on the north end of Lake Cd'A is just a little nuts, but it gave us the opportunity to see how she handled some big wakes!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats! 3 cylinder OB's push these 18'ers surprisingly well. I've been very happy with a 70 OMC on my Chieftain.

I like the color...and you'll never get paint to stick like the factory stuff!

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chem, this is a 1964 Merc 650--still a stacked 4 cylinder, but it does indeed seem to have adequate power. I'm not really a fan of the color, but there is no question that it is durable. Other than the rub-through spots, it is in very good condition.

64osby

Admiral
I like those older Merc's.

Had a '65 500 that we ran for 10 years and never had a single issue.sold it to a fellow iboater and he ran it for 2 or 3 years before he sold it.

The 4 cylinders don't seem to have the issues the the TOP 6's had. The 6's always seem to drop a cylinder.

When you are in the boat the color of the hull doesn't matter.;)

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good info about the TOPs. I'm keeping my eye out for the right (newer) 85-90hp, but for now the 65 will get me there.. Can't really see the need to go much more than that, especially if the motor is after the HP rating schemes changed.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey the guacamole was moving right along out there! Glad to hear the ole gal didn't leak much water. :thumb:

Lake CdA is like Lake Chelan in that it's crazy with huge boat wakes going every which direction. Not to be a downer here but just be careful with her, those older SC's even if not rotten get pretty loose and can flex the hull causing rib end and other cracks.

dozerII

Admiral
Gongrats on the splash, glad to see she is a runner and in remarkable condition.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, every avocado has its black edges, I suppose. Just walked out to the garage ma hal and found a puddle of oily blackness under the motor. Appears to be leaking out around the prop. I suppose I need to check the lower unit oil again to see whether I just have unburned oil (which I suspect) or a leak in the seal.

Last edited: