I'm back with another!

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've been working a different job and putting in a lot of hours and enjoying my 16ft SS. And my second son has been a handful so I've been away from the forum.

Last night I found another project Strarcraft. I think it's a Sunchief but don't know for sure. 20ft closed bow with a Mercuriser. The registration tag has it listed as a Stark.

Is there an easy way to post pictures from a dum dum phone?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We gotta see her! Can you download the Photobucket app to your dum dum phone? Once you get the pics on PB, it shouldn't be difficult to get the pics here.

:welcome: back.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had webshots for my other posts and it looks like those have all vanished. Going to see how photo bucket links work out.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. Guess that didn't work out. Will have to load them from home.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hold back the pitch fork I have pictures!

Made it home and in the driveway

And a picture of where my SS is at currently.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back, yeap that looks like she could be a Sunchief although the green looks more like a 70's model Holiday and it has the black MC OD. Man she's in really great shape too! Check out the measurements and see if they're the same.

196504.jpg

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was repainted and it's more gold then green. Not my first color choice but I can change that at some point. The floor is solid and has indoor outdoor carpet that needs to go away. The gears in the out drive are shot. PO had it torn down and just the case was put back on. I need to research gimble repair and bellow replacement. It has a tag on the transom Mercuiser 1. From what I found its R drive or Pre-alpha. Some point it had some upgrades, 2 barrel Holly carb, through hull exhaust and trim tabs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nice hunk of tin! She looks good behind the van. She'll look even better when she hit the water,

Good find.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
She's a Beauty losd!!! That SS sure looks good on the water as well! A side-by-side water shot would be mint! :thumb:

If you haven't seen it already, NorthBeach's Liquid Limo is the mob's most famous Sunchief!

dozerII

Admiral
Now there's a great looking time capsule, as much chrome as an old Cadillac. The hull looks to be in excellent condition. I would be a little worried about that Holley carb being a marine version, I can't see a safety/ return line to the fuel pump on it.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Side by side on the trailers.

So I measured from tip to tail and it's just short of 18.5 feet and 83" wide. The carb is a Holley 4412 from a Mustang or used on circle track race cars. The vent tube is short.

I have been digging online for info on the out drive and it might be a early 1 drive. 1963 or older. Makes me wonder since it has shocks, a lever on the side and white paint under the black.

What are my options for the drive? I can't see how it comes apart or even find components for a refresh. The gimble mount feels wobbly. I have found some complete drives on CL but most are V8 versions.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She's a Beauty losd!!! That SS sure looks good on the water as well! A side-by-side water shot would be mint! :thumb:

If you haven't seen it already, NorthBeach's Liquid Limo[/URL] is the mob's most famous Sunchief!

Liquid Limo is one of the reasons I started looking for a starcraft back in 2009. I have a topic on the rebuilding of my SS but webshots dropped all my uploads.

Watermann

Yeah that's a car carb you have there it looks like to me.

If you're wanting to upgrade from the 60's I would agree that it's a good idea. I would look for a donor with a 4.3L MC V6 in the Alpha one era of the late 80s on. You won;t be disappointed in that choice as far as power and reliability goes.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
4.3 would be option a few years out. It is not in the budget yet. Hoping to get it back on the water before the snow flies. Could be as early as October.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Spent some time looking things over, Cleaning up the fuel system and was looking at the return line set up.

I found an old illustration. My question is #4 or #18 a tee fitting or a check valve?

The ignition points had a burned out spot on the contacts so they got replaced. Also checked the compression and it blew my gauge out of the spark plug holes and was reading 120psi.

Watermann

The return line, it looks similar to more modern set ups where the mechanical fuel pumps have a clear line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb if the diaphragm were to rupture the fuel that leaks would be sent to the carb rather than the bilge.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been getting a lot of rain this summer and my yard has been growing like crazy and having the boat outside it not the to work on it in the wet.

Last week I took the old seats out and set them aside and found wasps in both starting to make nests. Also took off all the step pads, stern light and misc hardware on the top. Today the weather was perfect even if the wasps and bees are out. Working with my oldest son we pulled out the PO generic astro turf out vacuumed and swept put the debris. I had him work on drilling out the rivets on the gunnel panels teaching him on proper tool safety. I pulled out the 12 gallon fuel tank from the bow and was very happy that it was empty, just stunk like old fuel. Anyways here are some great cell phone pictures of the small amount of work.

The glue was just peeling off or grumbling. I was able to just vacuum most of it up. So far it is much easier to work on then my SS but don't know if it's because I know what I'm getting into now or if its the fact the consoles are not in the way. It has a dent/scratch on the port side that was behind the panel that is now easy to get to. Is it best to use a hammer and dolly to attempt to repair it?

I am going the use the same rustoleum texture paint under the bow and in the gunnel areas. It worked really well on my SS to hide all the old glue and has held up very well of the years.

Richmond2000

Seaman
yours LOOKS just like my NEW TO ME 69 Holiday even has the rotary depth finder
mine is BABY blue and I am working through getting her to purr
I can offer to take pics of engine / carb ETC parts for you if you want

Alumarine

Captain
Spent some time looking things over, Cleaning up the fuel system and was looking at the return line set up.

I found an old illustration. My question is #4 or #18 a tee fitting or a check valve?

The ignition points had a burned out spot on the contacts so they got replaced. Also checked the compression and it blew my gauge out of the spark plug holes and was reading 120psi.

That looks like a different setup than the later ones.
Part number 10 is a restrictor and 16 is a checkvalve.
I'm wondering if it's a system that will bypass the fuel filter in case it gets plugged and still provide the carb with gas?

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So since no one is 100% in control of the future I may have to move on with this Sunchief. There is a chance that I will not have my storage location for my SS and this at the same time. I haven't had much progress with the restoration or repairs yet either.

Mod EDIT
Sorry, no offers permitted in the open forum

Last edited by a moderator: