1984 sportcraft center console. any sportcraft ownershere?

V8nuts

Cadet
Re: 1984 sportcraft center console. any sportcraft ownershere?

I am a newb but I just picked up what I think is a 1980 sportcraft 170 with a force 125 hanging on the transome..:)

Bob Richmond

Recruit

I bought a new 1984 Sportcraft center console with a omc 115 on a bracket. It sat very low in the back. When you slow down the water would come over the top of the engine. After about 5 years of ownership the transom was rotton. You could stick your finger though the jel coat. We had to replace the whole transom.When we got in there in had regular plywood in it, not marine plywood. It was so rotton, it's a wonder the engine did not fall off. Other than that I had alot of fun with it. Hope this helps. Bob

mongaupt

Cadet

I just bought a 91 SP 202, center console with small cubby. Boat is a 20.5 foot boat that i was told has a 60 gallon tank. The motor was blown so i bought a yamaha 150, its a 1991 but runs great, it was barely ever used and properly stored indoors. The last owner got ready to paint the boat but didn't finish. I bought the paint and will do it in the spring. Hull seems very solid and heavy so do believe it will do good in rough waters. I never owned or have been able to use the boat yet. We would like to use it for fishing and some family use in the bay and Hudson river. If anyone who has owned this boat can help me with some tips they have learned through the years. What the range of the gas tank is? Is it an offshore (10-30 miles off)? How many people is it rated for i didnt see the tag on the boat? anyone have any clue on how fast it will travel?

mongaupt

Cadet

I just bought a 91 SP 202, center console with small cubby. Boat is a 20.5 foot boat that i was told has a 60 gallon tank. The motor was blown so i bought a yamaha 150, its a 1991 but runs great, it was barely ever used and properly stored indoors. The last owner got ready to paint the boat but didn't finish. I bought the paint and will do it in the spring. Hull seems very solid and heavy so do believe it will do good in rough waters. I never owned or have been able to use the boat yet. We would like to use it for fishing and some family use in the bay and Hudson river. If anyone who has owned this boat can help me with some tips they have learned through the years. What the range of the gas tank is? Is it an offshore (10-30 miles off)? How many people is it rated for i didnt see the tag on the boat? anyone have any clue on how fast it will travel?

Also does anyone know how long the shaft shuld be from the bottom of the motor head, where the ports are to the bottom of the motor?

Thanks everyone. louis

thill

Seaman Apprentice

Should be 25". Measure from where the motor hangs on top of the transom, to the cavitation plate just above the prop.

I just got a 205 Offshore with an Armstrong bracket. Planning to put either a 140 or 150 Evinrude on the back. Wondering if I need trim tabs?

-TH

OhRobocop

Recruit

Also does anyone know how long the shaft shuld be from the bottom of the motor head, where the ports are to the bottom of the motor?

Thanks everyone. louis

I own a 1981, 20' CC Sport Craft. Built in Perry Florida. The company went belly up. My boat after I bought it, I lifted the plastic curved moulding over the stern meeting the engine bracket and found the inconceivable ! The two layers of plywood were not fastened, glassed, glued to the inner part of the stern on the fiberglass. The plywood was not glassed on the inside at all and it does not have an outter glass piece sandwiching the plywood in the middle on the inside. The plywood was only fastened with fiberglass material on the sides. The bottom of the plywood where it meets the floor had a gap of over 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and there was no filler nor glass fiber material glueing it or fastening it to the hull floor on the bottom. I had to take out the complete stern as it is all rotten. I was lucky that it came off in one piece as there is NOTHING fastening it to the hull on the inner part against the fiberglass part of the stern. This is a crappy built of a boat. It is wrong for a manufacturer to cut costs and mass produce something this cheap. I guess minimum wage has its rewards. I hear this brand went belly up. I wonder why. If there is another Sport Craft manufacturing plant alive and well today, most likely it is not the same manufacturer. When I get thru with this stern replacement, any boat manufacturer will be envious of the repair, they , whoever they may be, WILL NOT spend the time nor the quality of work I will do on this one. LIVE AND LEARN, inspect before you buy, EVEN IF IT IS NEW !!!!!!DO not buy a piece of crap !!!

Last edited:

infish3

Recruit
I know Im going way out with this post. I just picked up a 1982 Sport Craft 242 off shore. any one out there with any Info on this boat or even on like it has a 225 efi mercury outboard.Thank you all
Tony