1984 sportcraft center console. any sportcraft ownershere?

phatmanmike

Captain
im looking to buy a 1984 sportcraft 20' "fisherman" center console with a 225 evinrude "sea drive" outboard and trailer.<br /><br />ive never owned or been in a sportcraft, but they seem pretty hard core.<br /><br />am i correct in the thinking that the floors of these boats have no wood, but are simply molded fiberglass? i couldnt find any wood under or around any of the floor hatches or ports?

remus

Cadet
Re: 1984 sportcraft center console. any sportcraft ownershere?

I have a 1987 Sportcraft 242 offshore. It's a 24 foot cuddy cabin with a 225 seadrive. I just purchased the boat about a month ago and haven't had a chance to really get into the needed repairs yet. The floor over the fuel tank is soft (flexing) and is definately fiberglass over wood. As you may know, the boats were made in Perry, Fl but are no longer in production. The only flaws I've noticed on mine are that some of the holes cut in the stringers (for drains) were not re-sealed and I think the drain hole in the transom was installed wrong leaving exposed wood in the hole. I don't know if this was something done at the factory or one of the previous owner's goofs. That seadrive is a funky motor mount and I understand OMC only made them for about 3 years. The 2.7 liter (225) on mine seems to work fine and I understand the motor is just a standard 225. The problems arise if you have to replace parts on the seadrive mount/lift assembly itself. Did you buy it?

phatmanmike

Captain

if you have a true 225hp, its a 3.0L<br /><br />they didnt make a 2.7L<br /><br />mine is a 225hp sea drive, and it hauls butt

remus

Cadet

Someone else told me they didn't make a 2.7 liter either, so I brought him to my house and showed him the motor cowling with " omc 2.7 liter seadrive" on it. Search "ducted vs. non-ducted" in johnson/evinrude repair on this forum and I think dhadley explains how this can be. Did you ever find out about the wood floor question on your boat?

phatmanmike

Captain

cowls can be switched very easily!

KaGee

Admiral

Sportcraft's are a sought after boat here on Lake Erie. They are an excellent rough water hull.

aquaholictwo

Cadet

i have a 20 foot sp craft it was modified with a gil drive on the stern and hanging on it ,is a 150 merc efi 1998. there two seats 1 for the pilot and 1 for the passenger,it is a 1987 bowrider.any body no this boat.

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i own a 20.5 offshore with a 115 yamaha good rough water boat

bostonflorida

Recruit

Originally posted by bosavy:<br /> i own a 20.5 offshore with a 115 yamaha good rough water boat
hi....i just purchased an '88 sportcraft 202 fisherman...i'm taking my 2004 115 hp mercury optimax off my old boat and putting it on this boat...what kind of speed can i expect from the 115 hp optimax? i love the boat...it looks like it has a great hull<br /><br />thanks

bostonflorida

Recruit

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> im looking to buy a 1984 sportcraft 20' "fisherman" center console with a 225 evinrude "sea drive" outboard and trailer.<br /><br />ive never owned or been in a sportcraft, but they seem pretty hard core.<br /><br />am i correct in the thinking that the floors of these boats have no wood, but are simply molded fiberglass? i couldnt find any wood under or around any of the floor hatches or ports?

bostonflorida

Recruit

hi, i just purchased a 1988 sportcraft 202 fisherman model and i'm impressed with the hull...i'm taking it out tomorrow for the first time

aquaholictwo

Cadet

well, on the 1987 bowrider i hav,ent seen any wood on the deck.As for the speed of these boats,im doin 35-40 at 3400 rpm,s with a 150 merc 6 cyl efi.The fiber glass is probly 3/8 that all around

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> im looking to buy a 1984 sportcraft 20' "fisherman" center console with a 225 evinrude "sea drive" outboard and trailer.<br /><br />ive never owned or been in a sportcraft, but they seem pretty hard core.<br /><br />am i correct in the thinking that the floors of these boats have no wood, but are simply molded fiberglass? i couldnt find any wood under or around any of the floor hatches or ports?

the hull does not have any plywood but the floors are fiberglass over plywood.....i have an original brochure for an 1988 202 if you want me to fax you a few pages

Originally posted by bostonflorida:<br />
Originally posted by bosavy:<br /> i own a 20.5 offshore with a 115 yamaha good rough water boat
hi....i just purchased an '88 sportcraft 202 fisherman...i'm taking my 2004 115 hp mercury optimax off my old boat and putting it on this boat...what kind of speed can i expect from the 115 hp optimax? i love the boat...it looks like it has a great hull<br /><br />thanks

boat ran great with the 115 optimax.....my 202 fisherman ran about 5400 rpm @ 34.5 mph

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

about30 to 35

you were right....thanks....I hit 34.5 mph and i'm very happy with the ride. feels like a nice rough water boat...

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a origanal sales pamphlet i 'm currently repainting the bottom paint

Off-Peak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive got a 202 Fishmaster (1990 so Im told) and get WOT 36.5 (GPS) from a Merc 135... The boat handles very well - play with the trim and its smooth as they come.