1998 Smoker-Craft 2030 Commander I/O Deck boat

rayaa3

Seaman Apprentice
Hello

New to the Forum.

I have recently (2 weeks) bought a 1998 smokercraft deck boat - a 2030 i/o. It has the 5.7L Mercruiser. Love the boat so far, it was fairly well cared for from what I can tell (13 year old boat without any scars on the seats, can't be too bad).

Anyone out there have one of the 1998-2000 2030 Commanders? Just curious to compare notes on a few things. I'm not the original owner (obviously) and have curiosity about things that could be after market.

For instance, would love to know what hte stock gas tank capacity is.

Thanks much,

Ray

rayaa3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1998 Smoker-Craft 2030 Commander I/O Deck boat

hmmm, so been digging around a little bit, looks like the 2000-2002 Sylvan 2230 Space ship/deck boat I/O are the same as my boat, in newer models.

So I take it Sylvan/Smoker-craft is the same, and they basically moved models back and forth between brandnames for a couple of years?

Ray

flyingarmy

Recruit

Ray..

I bought a 1998 Smokercraft 2030 Commander 2 years ago and have been slowly bringing it back to tip top shape. Having the seat re upholstered right now. It have a 4.3 Merc I/O and runs like a dream. I have only a small area by the gas tank of wood rot that I am going to cut out and replace. I re-wired the whole console, lights and added 4 JBL Marine speakers and AMP and new marine stereo. Its a solid boat that will last many more years. I know this thread is old but just came across it.

~Mark

rayaa3

Seaman Apprentice

Woohoo, finally found another smokercraft owner. I'm bought mine in 2011, and have had quite a bit of fun with it since. I haven't had to do much work on mine....few dollars here and there, but not much...Mostly just the types of things that a 15 year old boat that has seen a lot of vibration runs into...old screw holes backing out here or there...stuff like that. I think the biggest money I put into it was having some work done because of a rip in the sterndrive bellows. That could have been a lot cheaper but I didn't want to tie up the weekends of doing it myself. That's a boat though...pay someone else to fix it and its crazy expensive...fix it yourself and its just plain expensive. Anything that will take me more than a single day I usually pay someone else to do. I have so little free time from work that when i can get out on the lake to play, I'm ready to get out on the lake to play.

My seats are still original, and the captains chair is the only one that really shows any wear. I am about to replace the snap in carpet. My bimini top is still original and looks good.

Lots of fun on the lake. <sigh> fall is coming too fast this year.