Kicker motor mount or customize transom

Arruda

Recruit
I have a 1998 16 1/2 foot Smoker Craft fishing boat. I want to install a kicker motor on it but I'm about 2 inches short for the water intake to be submerged. Is it possible to cut away about 4 inches off the transom to allow the motor to sit deep enough in the water? Or will that compromise the integrity of the transom or the hull even though it is still about 3 inches higher than the center where the boat motor sits? Am I better off mounting a kicker motor mount on the back? The reason for all this is because I don't like the motor mount hanging on the back of the boat. :(

If anyone has any relevant information on this matter, I'd much appreciate it.:rolleyes:

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kicker motor mount or customize transom

I have a 1998 16 1/2 foot Smoker Craft fishing boat. I want to install a kicker motor on it but I'm about 2 inches short for the water intake to be submerged. Is it possible to cut away about 4 inches off the transom to allow the motor to sit deep enough in the water? Or will that compromise the integrity of the transom or the hull even though it is still about 3 inches higher than the center where the boat motor sits? Am I better off mounting a kicker motor mount on the back? The reason for all this is because I don't like the motor mount hanging on the back of the boat. :(

Go with the kicker bracket.

If anyone has any relevant information on this matter, I'd much appreciate it.:rolleyes:

The auxiliary motor mount will allow the motor to be set low enough into the water to function. Cabelas sells the kicker brackets along with a transom adapter which permits you to remove the motor and bracket, leaving a base that is approximately 8" x 10" X 1 1/2".

Arruda

Recruit
Re: Kicker motor mount or customize transom

I don't really like the kicker motor mount on the back of the transom. As well, I don't really like taking off and putting on the kicker motor when transporting. Is it possible to trim down the transom so the kicker motor sits deep enough in the water without compromising the strength or the integrity of the hull or transom?