replacement custom snap in carpet for 1998 Smoker Craft 2030 Commander I/O deckboat

rayaa3

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2030 Commander which is identical to Sylvan 2030 Spaceship, and recently replaced snap in carpets. Since I found it difficult to get an idea of pricing without sending in my carpets I thought it might be helpful for someone else to find information here on the forum.

I used Custom Marine Carpet http://www.snapincarpet.com/

I had 3 pieces of carpet 1 small bow strip, a long strip, and large pieces for the stern and console area. It cost me $15 to ship my carpet via UPS ground, and the replacement carpet was 567 shipped back to me. They included 20 snaps which I had to install myself (and I needed a couple more).

I could not find an inexpensive solution to the snap install tool and after trial and error broke down and bought the $150 hoover press and snap tool (for sale now!)

It urked me to buy it for a single use - but once I had the right tool, things went really fast with the snaps.

The carpets feel a lot lighter and less heavy duty than the OEM that came out, I hope they last as long, but it seems unlikely. The carpet feels about the same, but the backing is much lighter and thinner.

I bought a berber carpet which looked like what came out, and the standard nu wave backing that came on it.

-Ray

rayaa3

Seaman Apprentice
Just as a follow up. I did need more snaps than the 20 they sent me. When I called them to ask to mail me 4 more, they said I got the number that were on my old carpet and offered to sell me a 10 pack for $10. I told them the carpet had more, they said they counted what was on the old carpet. (As it happens the old carpet had 2 that were ripped out, part of the need for a replacement. Likely why the company thought they sent me all I needed. ) I was rather shocked at the charging for 4 snaps after dropping $550 on the carpet that should have covered all snaps anyway. I consider it bad service and won't give them another dime. I called a local boat cover and awning upholstery shop and asked to buy a few. He happened to be closing (it was late on a friday) and left a handful for me in his mailbox, and WOULD NOT ACCEPT MONEY. He said "I buy these by the 1000, you need 4. Just have fun at the lake this weekend." If I get a custom cover I know who I will use. I'll never use the custom carpet site mentioned above again. They lost me over an unwillingness to spend the money on 4 snaps and a stamp, after a purchase that arguably was supposed to include them. I will admit 2 of what I was asking for I broke during install, and admitted as much to custom marine carpet. When pressed on the issue they only agreed to count the snaps on the original carpet in had sent them and replace those (which didn't include the 2 that were on portions that were ripped out) . Still can't believe the response.

If in okc looking for a custom cover, look into boatman okc. If his covers are as good as his willingness to help a stranger, you won't be disappointed.