1972 Slickcarft

Saginaw Bay

Seaman
Hi,
I am wondering if you smart people can help me.

I traded for a 1972 Slickcraft ss195 this past summer.

I put new flooring and carpet in it.

I put new seats in it.

However, I have questions.

#1 I was told the motor is a ford 302, can I go to the auto parts store and buy valve cover gaskets, ignition parts, sparkplugs , etc. for a 1972 mustang with a 302? Will everything be the same?

#2 I think it has a mercruser outdrive, the labels are gone but I think it to be a mercruiser, is it?

#3 I hit a stump the last time I had it out and need to get the propeller repaired. I figure to buy another one for the boat just in case.
what I get of the prop is a 15 3/4 x17 prop. Where in the hell do I find one of these.

#4 is there an online resoure other than this forum where I can find info.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1972 Slickcarft

Welcome to iboats saginaw bay, you will find lots of help here:)

#1 I was told the motor is a ford 302, can I go to the auto parts store and buy valve cover gaskets, ignition parts, sparkplugs , etc. for a 1972 mustang with a 302? Will everything be the same?

You may get better answers to these type of questions in the I/O section of iboats. I'm an outboard guy so I don't know myself, but folks on this site can help. There are some gurus that wouldn't be looking in the Slickcraft area for I/O questions that can and will help out:)

#2 I think it has a mercruser outdrive, the labels are gone but I think it to be a mercruiser, is it?

If you have some pics that would help, and again, post this in the I/O forum.

#3 I hit a stump the last time I had it out and need to get the propeller repaired. I figure to buy another one for the boat just in case.
what I get of the prop is a 15 3/4 x17 prop. Where in the hell do I find one of these.

Iboats has a search tool for props that will show you sizes and prices of props that will fit your I/O outdrive.

#4 is there an online resoure other than this forum where I can find info.

There are other sites but this one is the best:D

SS165

Cadet
Re: 1972 Slickcraft

Re: 1972 Slickcraft

I also have a 1972 but a bit shorter (SS165) and have manuals if needed. If your outdrive is black in color it it probably a Mercruiser. A picture, again would easily tell. If it it white and has all sorts of round "attachments" and a metal rod running from the transom to the outdrive it is probably a OMC...again we need a picture. Once you determine the outdrive you should look for stamped numbers or tags from the motor/block to determine if it is a 302 Ford. Used/rebuits props can be found on ebay, craigslist and here as well. Shoot me an email of you need anything else. Steve

water world

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1972 Slickcarft

they used three different sets of points autolite, mercury, prestolite