JUST bought 1994 skeeter bay

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently purchased a 1994 skeeter bay 21'6" with 1997 150 merc 2.0L. I took it out on the lake when it was rough and I was very disappointed how it performed. It did not cut through the waves well at all and it was POUNDING and very rough ride. Anyway I am concerned about the floors and the integrity of the hull. It has the fiberglass floors and they appear to be weak. They are lots of cracks and chips in the floor and some wavy spots like someone tried to refiberglass them. In the back deck where the floor ends it is very weak. So I put my hand underneath the floor (from the storage) and the wood that supports it is completely rotten. My question is should I have this floor redone?? Or do I just need to refiberglass the weak areas like the edges where it is cracked real bad? Also I noticed the floors flex alot when I hit waves and the center console is not very sturdy. Is this normal for this hull? I just dont feel really confident about it. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it seems like a big flimsy boat thats about to fall apart!! Also the motor shakes real bad in rough water, but not on the transom. The motor itself shakes. Is there motor mounts or something that I can tighten to prevent this shaking?? The motor runs great, I just need to figure out whats goin on with the hull. Should I take it to a shop?? I used all my money to buy the thing and now im broke!!

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: JUST bought 1994 skeeter bay

Recently purchased a 1994 skeeter bay 21'6" with 1997 150 merc 2.0L. I took it out on the lake when it was rough and I was very disappointed how it performed. It did not cut through the waves well at all and it was POUNDING and very rough ride. Anyway I am concerned about the floors and the integrity of the hull. It has the fiberglass floors and they appear to be weak. They are lots of cracks and chips in the floor and some wavy spots like someone tried to refiberglass them. In the back deck where the floor ends it is very weak. So I put my hand underneath the floor (from the storage) and the wood that supports it is completely rotten. My question is should I have this floor redone?? Or do I just need to refiberglass the weak areas like the edges where it is cracked real bad? Also I noticed the floors flex alot when I hit waves and the center console is not very sturdy. Is this normal for this hull? I just dont feel really confident about it. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but it seems like a big flimsy boat thats about to fall apart!! Also the motor shakes real bad in rough water, but not on the transom. The motor itself shakes. Is there motor mounts or something that I can tighten to prevent this shaking?? The motor runs great, I just need to figure out whats goin on with the hull. Should I take it to a shop?? I used all my money to buy the thing and now im broke!!

Dang man sorry to hear that....I am going to take a 1995 150ZX for a text ride today Hope I like it ..if not im not going to buy it... my step dad say they ride rough and looks like it is a bit choppy today so i will really be able to tell if it is going to ride good or not...I really LOVE ranger but i cant afford them...I do have a 1986 Ranger that is SOLID and takes waves like a champ! just cant afford the newer ones...good luck with what you have going on...