Gas Tank Lacquer problem

Singer4096

Recruit
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1982 (?) Skeeter HP-120. The engine is a 115HP Johnson outboard that is in good condition. I had the boat in the shop and had a lot of maintenance type work done on it and it runs fine with an external gas tank, but has problems with the built-in tank. The problem I'm having is that the previous owner had the boat sitting up for several years. He cranked the boat regularly, but the gas/oil mixture was old and now there is a significant buildup of what the mechanics are calling 'lacquer' on the bottom of the tank and in the fuel line. I can replace the line, but does anyone know how I should go about cleaning the tank? The tank appears to be some sort of opaque plastic. I'm worried about normal cleaning agents that I might use like paint thinner, etc. since they might damage the plastic. Do I just ditch the tank?

Thanks,
Daniel

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gas Tank Lacquer problem

Can you get the tank out?
If you can, put a little kerosene or mineral spirits in it along with a handful of ball bearnings.
Shake the heck out of it after you let it set for a bit and then dump out.
You may have to do this several times to get it all out but it will work.
The solvent loosens it up and ball bearings will knock it loose.
Take your sending unit out so as not to damage the float etc.

Singer4096

Recruit

SBN,

I think I can get the tank out. (The boat is still at the shop, I'm going to get it in the morning.) I'll try your solution. I may have to replace the tank, but I doubt I can find one exactly the right size/shape.

Thanks again,

D

way2fast72

Cadet

fill with boiling water from a steam cleaner and added about 2 gallons of simple green.Let the tank sit for about 4 hours and flushed with boiling water for about 30 minutes.I had the exact same problem with my 1985 skeeter,I used this method and tank looks as good as new.I added a clear see through filter to see if it caught any additional garbage,but so far nothing in it.

Singer4096

Recruit

way2fast72,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did get the tank out, and rigged the boat to run with a portable tank for the moment, then work got real busy and I haven't been able to get back to it. I'm hoping to get to work on the tank in the next couple of weeks.

Singer4096