1987 silverton sportcruiser 29?

Loser I

Recruit
hello all, I am in the process of purchasing a 1987 silverton , which is what I believe to be a 29 ft
the previous owner listed it as a 31 but I cant find any information on that size with the set up of this boat. it has what looks like a command bridge, and a long hallway type entrance to the starboard side with a galley along that side. also has what looks like three hatches up top , sliding glass windows at the stern end for the sleeping area,
does anyone know the correct given name of this boat model and the exact length?
also any pertanent info , flaws of this model,
I will have to re power it as the 4.3's have been removed and in storage, so I have my work cut out for me
thanks in advance

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1987 silverton sportcruiser 29?

Welcome to iboats!
Yes that sounds like the 29 SportCruiser (1985-1987).
They have a huge amount of space for their size, and the prop pockets reduce draft to less then 2'.
I've been aboard 2 of them and (just my opinion) they seem underpowered with the 4.3's. If you're repowering I'd suggest you go with larger motors.
Here's a specsheet:
http://www.silverton.com/models/previous08/prevModels/29SptCru.html
Hopefully you're having it professionally surveyed prior to the purchase- it's definitely money well spent and the results can be used as a negotiating tool. In addition, if you're planning to insure it the insurance carrier will REQUIRE a valuation survey.
Good luck!

Loser I

Recruit

thanks for the reply,
yes I thought of that with the engines,
I am sort of in the business, what I mean by that is I am an import car tech, for the past 35 years, so I do know my way around engines etc, however, repowering it to larger engines, like V 8s, hopefully wont turn into a nightmare, as you know things dont always go smoothly when you deviate from the original. Im not quite sure if everything will align, fit, and match up in particular the velvet drives, and hardware, as I have never done a conversion like that, but I did think about it . Im not really concerned with the speed etc, but would like to think about that,
right now Im cleanning out the boat and repairing all the other items just to get mentally ready to do the repower, fortunately the owner did do a neat job of removal and keeping everything avail.
I also have a problem with the hydraulic steering helm which has a leak at the wheel, but I understand thats not a big deal, so Ill take care of that as well. You have to look at it as a hobby or ,,,, you will go mad,,,lol.
right now Im dealing with trying to figure out how all the othe systems work, etc, and am a litle confused about the holding tank pump out as I cant find the seacock etc.
would you happen to know where they may have installed a generator in this model or if one was avail at some point? mine does not have one, and am considering
it
thanks
Bill

arks

Lieutenant Commander

right now Im dealing with trying to figure out how all the othe systems work, etc, and am a litle confused about the holding tank pump out as I cant find the seacock etc.
The holding tank may NOT have a thru-hull seacock because many areas prohibit raw discharge. I'd suggest you follow the head discharge hose- you might find an in-line valve before the tank that needs to be turned to pump out the black water (sewage) tank at the marina.

would you happen to know where they may have installed a generator in this model or if one was avail at some point? mine does not have one, and am considering
it
thanks
Bill
I haven't seen a genny in a 29 SC but I can tell you that back in those days big accessories like generators and anchor windlass were not installed at the factory but by the dealer before delivery to the original owner.
I put a 5Kw Kohler in my 34C a few years ago. Doing it properly is a fairly complex project but do-able if you layout and plan the whole job in advance. It AIN'T cheap, either. ;)
Good luck!