Considerations re: Silverton

neednewboat

Recruit
I'm looking closely at purchasing one of two boats -- a late '80s model 34ft Silverton Convertible or a Bayliner 3270 Motoryacht. I've been able to find a lot of very helpful information on the Bayliner, such as common problems, etc. However, I'm desperately trying to find a similar information resource for the Silverton. Any suggestions? Anything I need to pay special attention to or consider with the model Silverton I mention above?<br /><br />Many thanks in advance for responses.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Considerations re: Silverton

I compared those 2 boats when shopping, too. <br /><br />The Bayliner has an amazing amount of living space for it's size. I didn't care for the small engines, V-drives, and tight engine compartment. The offset bridge helm seating seemed odd to me (I like central seating on the flybridge). The prop tunnels were a plus, but I ended up with the Silverton because I liked it better and they have a great support system (the Silverton Owners Club). I think you can check it out for free for a week. Membership is $28/ year and worth every penny.<br /><br />The Silverton 34C changed significantly in '88; I have an older ('84) model that was one of the most popular boats ever produced ('84-'88). <br />In general, they are good vessels with a solid FRP hull (below the rubrail) and cored deck and cabin. The hull will handle most conditions well, but can be tender in a following sea. Most ('84-'88) 34C's were produced with twin smallblock V-8's and straight shaft tranny's that produced decent economy and a top speed in the high 20's.<br /><br />Problems to look out for- damp coring in the deck and cabin (surveyor will know how to check), usually around the stanchion bases or hatches. Also, the bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit can also deteriorate from moisture. The fuel tanks are aluminium and some have failed from many years of exposure, but a recent poll on the SOC has revealed the problem is not widespread at all, even with the older vessels. <br /><br />Hope this info helps. I love our 34C and think we made the right decision.