9.9 hp gamefisher problems solved

johnpnorth

Cadet
Hello Folks,
I?ve owned a 1993 Sear GAMEFISHER 9.9 hp outboard since brand new, out of the box from Sears. I would like to share a few of my experiences with you and I hope you get some value out of this.

1993 Sears Gamefisher 9.9 HP Outboard Motor
MODEL NO. 225.581987
20? LEG (long shaft)
Wrong Spark Plug Gap Information- This caused me grief and confusion for years?until Al Gore invented the Internet!
Sear Owner?s Manual on page 20, states .040 inches for spark plug gap, also see Figure 27!! Note: Page 3 does state .030.
Champion spark plug manufacturer states for L87YC .030 inches for spark plug gap.
Force Repair manual 9-15 hp for engines up to 1992 (the 1993 is the same as a 1992)?states .030 inches. I use .030 now.
At .040, as you all know, will cause poor starting, poor performance and just look at the spark?it?s weak and red. Over the last ten years I spent a small fortune on ?bad or fouled? spark plugs!

Force Shop Repair Manual
I recently bought this 260 plus page, deeply illustrated, manual online, on CD for $10.00 bucks. I?ve seen this manual on eBay for $2 bucks. It?s the best manual I seen on this engine so far and well worth it, if you do you own repairs. Just make sure you have the correct GAMEFISHER- NOT TED WILLIAMS?s versions, etc.

History: Force Outboard, manufacturer of the Sears Gamefisher. Later bought out by Chrysler, then, bought out by Mercury Marine- the best I can figure? some Quicksilver ( Merc) parts are the same or eqvalent.

Problem Starting Engine- Engine would not start per starting instructions on front of engine cover. Didn?t matter if the engine was cold or hot, choke on or off, engine primer one push or several. Could only start engine with starting fluid. Once engine started it ran perfect.

Problem was resolved by taking off the engine primer bulb, located inside the primer rubber boot, mounted in front of the outboard, I found the clear plastic bulb was torn open in several places, thus not allowing the pressure to push gas into the intake from the carburetor. Refer to illustrated parts catalog page 36 for part numbers. Any part number which starts with an, F is a general a good number.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...Parts/Model-225581997/0247/1305320?pathTaken=

Found a similar primmer bulb (for weed whackers and chain saws) in the garden tools section at Lowe?s. I paid $9 dollars for a package that included 3 sizes. None fit, so I used silicone sealant and stuck the mid-size, half moon shaped primer bulb onto the plastic primer assembly. The primer assembly is available as a ?special? order, through Sears Parts Direct, or other online outboard stores. Cost is $17-$23 dollars for new complete primer. Boot is extra. Shipping is extra. Now, the engine starts per starting instructions, right up.

Inline Fuel Primer Bulb Problems
Besides the obvious leaks around the bulb ends, one day my motor was running fine when I heard the RPM?s slowly go up and then the motor stopped. I primed the fuel hose bulb and the engine fired right up, then the same thing happened again. I realized I could keep the engine running if I pumped the inline bulb every few seconds. It turned out, the check valve inside the bulb can get flipped over and not work correctly. The best thing to do is buy another. Besides the high priced boating stores, I buy stuff like this at places like Wal-Mart and Advanced Auto?of all places! I replace this thing every 2 years. Also, check the O rings around the fuel couplings. There?s a good write up on this site, somewheres.

Additional information:
I was on the ICW with the engine about half throttle when the RPMs suddenly went through the roof and the boat coasted to a stop. I put the engine in neutral, and found an empty 5 pound plastic ice bag wrapped around the prop. There is way too much plastic in the water these days?and it?s NOT always a shear pin! The clutch inside the lower unit worked as designed. Once the bag was removed, all worked fine.

Also, I have never had to replace a shear pin. Lucky I guess.

Over Heating and Water Pump
I replace the water pump rubber rotor, which by the way was in perfect shape after 15 years of usage. Bad guess?The real problem was the area around the thermostat. It was plugged up with salt.

Later another over heating problem turned out to be the rubber seal near the rear of the engine got all gummed up and swelled the water outlet port closed.

Blockage (PLASTIC BAGS) around the water pump, above the prop intake?this has caused my 9.9 hp to over heat and stop running completely! I must say, this engine can take some serious, unintentional abuse and still work after 17 years.

John

johnpnorth

Cadet
Re: 9.9 hp gamefisher problems solved-WRONG LOCATION

Re: 9.9 hp gamefisher problems solved-WRONG LOCATION

Sorry, I thought I was in Sears Engine repair...I've posted my information in the "Other Brands" in the enginer repair section...
John

ACiDG

Recruit
Re: 9.9 hp gamefisher problems solved

I have to agree with you and confirm the issue of the thermostat causing blockage. I bought one of these on a garage sale for 50 bucks needing a recoil, which I purchased on eBay for another 50 shipped. Threw it together and ran it in a garbage can and it worked perfectly (or so I thought...) Took it out on the lake today and it overheated in 300 yards. Got it home and looked at the cylinders and they looked PERFECT! Removed the thermostat and found sand plugging it all shut. Turns out the previous owner changed the impeller (he told me when he sold it to me), but must have overlooked the thermostat. He said his boy ran it in the fall and the recoil broke, but I bet it overheated and they decided to off it on the sale.
At any rate, I'm thrilled with the purchase. It looks like new and the next time I'm on the water will be much better!!!

plloyd975

Recruit

I have same motor....same HP. It was given to me by a friend...hung in garage for 6 yrs....put gas in, started right up....ran like a top. BUT, while backing boat in water (duh), i hit plastic prop and broke it. I had a spare, put it on, no biggie...BUT, can you get an alum prop for this motor? If so, where, got a link? PL

johnpnorth

Cadet

Hello Folks,
I?ve owned a 1993 Sear GAMEFISHER 9.9 hp outboard since brand new, out of the box from Sears. I would like to share another of my experiences with you and I hope you get some value out of this... the saga continues!!!

About 4 monthis I ago, I removed the carb and clean it out as it was the first time since new. All in all, I found no diabalacal issues and put the carb together. Before I put the fuel bowl on, I put some "gasket" sealer around the rim and let it get tacky, then put the bowl back on d the engine ran at speed great. Then last week I noticed my engine would not develop much speed over idle. So I took the carb off and lo and behold, I found the main jet was covered with the selant! Plus the selant was all over, in a stringy mess all over the float, the main nozzle, etc. I was suprized it started and ran at all.

Today I clean and re-assembled the carb and used a known good sealant for gas arond the bowl...I will let this cure for about a week and see what happens. It's always rewarding to find the root cause of a problem in short order for a change!
John