Help with Sears Outboard

Justinsears

Recruit
I recently purchased a Sears 4.5 hp outboard. After searching the model number, I found it to be a 1971 model made by Eska. It has a Tecumseh engine.
So, i took it out this weekend and after many many pulls, it started. But it would only stay running for maybe 15 seconds or so before it began to run rough and die. I noticed that there is a small pinhole on the side of the carb that fuel is leaking out of. After taking the carburetor bowl off, i saw that the float valve was binding in its bore and not allowing the float to seat it against its seal. So i figure that this pinhole is an overflow. Could this be whats causing the engine to quit running? It seems that it is, because each time in order to restart it, i have to move the throttle to wide open like you would for a flooded engine. Also, i've been running 50:1 oil/fuel mixture and i just found out tonite that this engine should be using a 24:1 mixture. I assume that too much oil could also be contributing to this problem.
Anyway im new to these engines and would appreciate any feedback or info. Thanks.