Control Cable Replacement in Sea Rayder Jet Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an old Sea Rayder F14 with the Mercury 90hp Sport Jet. Among other things, the steering (helm) and reverse gate cables need to be replaced. They both pass through the drive pump hull cavity and there are "Thru-Hull" fittings on the inside to seal out any water. See the pictures. I removed the reverse gate cable by cutting it and pulling it out without disturbing the Thru-Hull fitting too much. The cable diameter is 0.27" and the fitting nut compresses the little fingers around the cable and what looks like a rubber grommet. On the rear side near the reverse gate, ther cable exits through a hole with an oversize grommet (clearance around the cable) but there is no fitting and it looks like water can enter the cavity. The maximum cable diameter at the control end is 0.37 and I'm afraid that if I just try to pull it through with a fish line or similar, I'll pull out or damage the thru-hull fitting grommet.

What's the best way to install these cables and get a watertight installation? Should I install a piece of split tubing to take up the space between the cable and fitting, then fill the split with silicone sealer? Should I seal the rear cable exit hole?

Attachments

• SeaRayder1.jpg
    SeaRayder1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 6
  • SeaRayder4.jpg
    SeaRayder4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 6
  • SeaRayder5.jpg
    SeaRayder5.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 6
  • SeaRayder6.jpg
    SeaRayder6.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 6
  • SeaRayder7.jpg
    SeaRayder7.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Control Cable Replacement in Sea Rayder Jet Boat

You probably won't find too much help in the Sea Ray area. Most technical questions go unanswered.

You will have the best luck in one of the "general" areas. I don't see a specific jet boat area, so perhaps the Other Brands of I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives would be best.

boozer314

Recruit

I just bought an old Sea Rayder F14 with the Mercury 90hp Sport Jet. Among other things, the steering (helm) and reverse gate cables need to be replaced. They both pass through the drive pump hull cavity and there are "Thru-Hull" fittings on the inside to seal out any water. See the pictures. I removed the reverse gate cable by cutting it and pulling it out without disturbing the Thru-Hull fitting too much. The cable diameter is 0.27" and the fitting nut compresses the little fingers around the cable and what looks like a rubber grommet. On the rear side near the reverse gate, ther cable exits through a hole with an oversize grommet (clearance around the cable) but there is no fitting and it looks like water can enter the cavity. The maximum cable diameter at the control end is 0.37 and I'm afraid that if I just try to pull it through with a fish line or similar, I'll pull out or damage the thru-hull fitting grommet.

What's the best way to install these cables and get a watertight installation? Should I install a piece of split tubing to take up the space between the cable and fitting, then fill the split with silicone sealer? Should I seal the rear cable exit hole?

I have the same question, just curious if you got it back together without leaks? I put mine together but it looks like the gasket is not in the correct position, because I was getting water coming into the bilge through the fitting. It seems like my gasket is not on the inside of the "fingers" and I believe it is supposed to be. I've got the thru hull fitting with the fingers, then a gasket, then the nut...when tightening it up, the gasket gets twisted up and sticks out of the nut, hence the leaks.

Let me know if you had any luck.

Thanks!

Yep, it's fixed. Here is the whole procedure (with the good part at the end):
I cut the old cables with an abrasive wheel and pulled them out so as not to damage the fittings. Then, I wrapped thin tape around the new cable crimped end to form a tapered transition. I removed the reverse gate and hardware to get some work space. A bright light in the engine compartment allowed me to look through from the outside and using a thin wood dowel, pass a strong string through the hole. As I pulled the cable through, I slipped the seal ring and fitting nut over the cable, then connected the inboard end to the control. After threading the nut on the fitting and tightening the gasket, there was a small water leak. I removed the nut and lubed the seal ring but the leak was still there. The fix was to clean and dry the fittings and apply clear Marine Goop (Ace Hardware). It adheres well and drys to a rubbery consistency. I let it set up for a couple of days, then did a test run. No leaks!

Last edited:

Oops! In my last reply, I said I used Shoe Goo but my memory was bad. I used Marine Goop. I edited the reply to reflect the correction.

boozer314

Recruit

Oops! In my last reply, I said I used Shoe Goo but my memory was bad. I used Marine Goop. I edited the reply to reflect the correction.

Thanks. It seems like each time I tighten the nut on the inside the rubber gasket gets pushed around and never seats evenly. I'll give the Goop a try.

Thanks again!

Thanks. It seems like each time I tighten the nut on the inside the rubber gasket gets pushed around and never seats evenly. I'll give the Goop a try.

Thanks again!

Before applying the Goop, use a hair dryer to warm the fitting. Hold it at a distance and be patient, being careful not to overheat the plastic. Let it sit for a while (Fitting should be quite warm to the touch after a minute but not hot). Repeat a few times, then go to town!

larryb1963

Cadet

Before applying the Goop, use a hair dryer to warm the fitting. Hold it at a distance and be patient, being careful not to overheat the plastic. Let it sit for a while (Fitting should be quite warm to the touch after a minute but not hot). Repeat a few times, then go to town!

Can I ask what you paid for the reverse gate cable ? I see them on ebay for $89.00 I don't think that this cable should be this expensive ?? my sea raider is only 14' I have bought shift cables for boats 5x longer and only paid $39.00 . Thank you .

Can I ask what you paid for the reverse gate cable ? I see them on ebay for $89.00 I don't think that this cable should be this expensive ?? my sea raider is only 14' I have bought shift cables for boats 5x longer and only paid $39.00 . Thank you .

Sorry but I sold the boat this year and the records went with the boat.

FX16rayder

Recruit
I have a 1997 F16 and I'm trying to get the black cover off of the control lever housing. I removed the 3 screws, handle and bevel but the cover will not come off. I'm stumped.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 1997 F16 and I'm trying to get the black cover off of the control lever housing. I removed the 3 screws, handle and bevel but the cover will not come off. I'm stumped.

Start a new thread. After 6 years of inactivity, it's too late to add posts.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.