470 Mercruiser in 1978 Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser

retired2010

Recruit
So I've read all the negative talk about the Mercruiser 470 and you all have about scared me off from buying a restored 1978 Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser that has 2 new (remanufactured from Mercriser) engines. Does this change any opinions on the engine. I really like the boat but the engine thing is scaring me a little, or maybe a lot. Does a rebuilt engine have any of the "issues" fixed that have been a problem for this engine? I've heard that replacing the alternator and moving up to a 4" heat exchanger should be done. Anyone have a link to where I can get a cost and buy these?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

johnny470

Cadet
Re: 470 Mercruiser in 1978 Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser

I changed over to the alternator kit. Never any problems with my 1986 470. it stays in the water used almost every day.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 470 Mercruiser in 1978 Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser

Don't listen to all the hype. They are good engines, and like ANY thing have a few quirks.
Don't worry about the Alt swap unless there is a reason to do it. If the charging system works use it. Mine works fine. And its a better system than an alt when its working properly.
The 4" heat exchanger is a good idea (but not necessary unless you run hot) and they can be found for around 200 used.
They biggest thing is "try before you buy". Then you will know what you have and what you need.
There are a lot of us on here with them and can offer advise.
Id go for it, At the VERY worst you have to repower the boat. But you still have the one you like.