Sea Ray 370 SD what's really the worst that could happen?!

glealey

Cadet
First off, this isn't my first boat purchase. I've been upgrading from one old boat to the next. Have a contract on a 1998 370 sundancer for a very good price (about 20K low to be specific). However the boat is in FL and I'm in TN. My plan is to fly in next week to see in person (seen tons of pics). And before going, trying find someone to survey. The reason for the low sale price is a relocation by the owner, past due slip fees, and "one engine and generator need work". Boat has 500 hrs. I'm told both engines start and run but one is running very rough. And genny doesn't start. So assuming the hull and everything BUT the engines check out ok with the survey... what's my worst case with the engines. Right now I'm counting on having to spend about 5K with my mechanic but I'm completely guessing. I'm going to attempt to find a mechanic to go check it out in FL but how much can he tell me with an hour or two inspection?
Before everyone says "run away!", understand that I've always bought boats that need some TLC and expect some risk. And the boat has two backup contracts for quite a bit higher than my contracted price. Any thoughts/insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you bought a turnkey perfect boat - what would you do with all your spare time this summer?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Exactly!!! But rather work on the easy stuff to begin. Knowing I'll be working on the motors many seasons to come...

I'm sorry to say (psychologically) that I would thoroughly enjoy that. I'm afraid my main purpose in life is amusing my wife with my projects.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Assume boat probably needs exhaust manis and the rough running motor probably has rust damage.

If you need less to get it in tip top shape, put the extra money into the fuel fund