New Owner-Handling Question

cityhix

Recruit
Hello. I am EXTREMELY new to owning a boat and I must apologize if this question would be better asked (or the answer found) elsewhere on the forum. But here goes....

I just had my 1984 Sea Nymph 14R on the water for the first time. We had a successful outing and even caught some crab, which was the whole inspiration for the purchase. The boat is powered by the classic Johnson 9.9 motor. There were two of us in the boat for a total of about 430 pounds of human weight. We had an anchor (25lbs?) stored in the bow of the boat. Conditions were good with some chop with consistent wave action of about a foot or so.

What I noticed, and found disconcerting, when following the waves (traveling in the direction of the waves), we would crest a wave, slide down the face of the wave and then the bow would tend to "dig in" with a big spray and distinct slowing (enough to throw us off balance when seated). Traveling against the wave, no problem. We tried shifting weight forward and back. With my buddy in the front, the effect was worse.

I'm clueless as to if this is just the nature of the type of boat or if there is something that I can do to alleviate the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.