88' Sea Nymph Fm 146 leans to side, Wet Foam question

mark268

Recruit
So I finally was ale to take my new to me 88' Sea Nymph FM146 out last week. I absolutly LOVE it, but it definatly leans to the right side. I believe the foam in the right foam floatation housing must be soaked. I am #215, and have to sit on the left to balance it.

My question is the top is carpet covered plywood. I can not find any screws holding it down, but obviously there are. Does anyone know how these are structured and where I can find the screws? I might have to just start cutting the carpet off.

My plan is to take the top plywood off and start digging out the old foam. What is the opinion on leaving the foam out, and converting the area into storage space? I would obviously do the same to the left side.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88' Sea Nymph Fm 146 leans to side, Wet Foam question

I`m kinda in the same situation as you. New boat project, waterlogged foam. My flooring is riveted down and the carpet is glued on top so no screws or rivets showing. Probably the same as yours. I wound up completely gutting it and starting over, foam was shot as was the wood.
Many people do remove the foam and replace it with a closed cell type of foam- pool noodles or the 4x8 flat sheets from lowes/depot. The foam is your flotation and if you do happen to take on water that will help hold it up. It`s your call whether or not to replace it. Extra storage is nice but so is a boat above water. You never know when you`ll get swamped.

mark268

Recruit

After cutting the carpet I found the screws holding the plywood on. Well, I tore into the starboard gunnel and found a mess of foam pieces. Most appeared as if they had been wet, broken, and are very dirty. As I removed it I found wet nasty stuff toward the bottom. I also found, as so many do, water soaked foam under the floor. I do not plan to tackle the floors until after the summer, hate to lose the fishing time.

I removed all the foam from the starboard side and threw some new carpet on and went fishing Sunday. Boat did not list as much as before. I feel it can be compensated by moving the battery to the port side. Now to tackle the motor. After replacing the fuel filter it runs and idles without the choke, but has a definate miss and doesnt run like a 20 hp 2 stroke should. Im going to try a new set of plugs.

Since I purchased the boat used, I expected repairs needed and I am not disapointed. Good lil boat for the local pits. Little beat up, but floats and better then the bank!!

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Obviously your own personal call Mark but please make sure your personal PFD is handy eh.

I'm going to tag onto your post and see where you go.

Quite a few SN restos here and not a bad winter project if you've got some room.

Good luck.

mark268

Recruit

I've had the ol' girl out a couple more times. Moving the battery to the port side helped and now cant even notice a difference. It's just a temperary bandaid, but will get me through the summer. As for PFD's, always at hand, cant be to careful.

Havent changed the plugs yet. Engine runs and idles fine, just seems to be low on power. It's an 88' and have no idea of the maintenance. Plans in the near future will be a compression test and new plugs/coils. I did find that the fuel filter I installed (designed for outboard motores) had softened at the engine (out direction) side and dislodged the internal filter loose. Not sure how that heppend. Where it's located I cant imagine it got hot enough to soften the plastic.