Year and model of Sea Nymph

wilkiepup

Cadet
Hello,
We just bought a Sea Nymph boat today. It is a 14' v hull fishing boat. It just says "14 M" on the side of the hull. Is there anyway to tell more from the serial/model number? It is a 1990.

The number is "SEA 58101I990
Two thin colored lines run all the way down the side of the boat.

3E23K33H15Ee5J85M8d3b4cb609bdc0b217ab.jpg

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Year and model of Sea Nymph

Congratulations !

There should be some more experienced S/N owners cruising through that will help more than I but found your style boat on web search easily enough and even here on Iboats. Play around with the search function in the general boat questions and the boat restoration forum. You will get a large amount of welcomes and feedback.

The M may stand for a "Muskie" model: Boat: 1990 Sea Nymph 14M3 Muskie

Do you think will have to do any restoration or is she ready to go ?

wilkiepup

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Streetgang! I too noticed that there needs to be more of an extension on the end. I'll look closer at that "14M" and see if maybe the original designation was taken off and this was put back on by an owner. I think it may be a Muskie.

We haven't brought it home yet, but it's just down the street. We think it will be ready to fish when we put it into the water. Turns out the Craig's List seller has it right down the road from us and I went to school with that guy. Small world. It comes with a 1989 25 HP Mercury 2 stroke that runs fine, a Shorelander trailer that was recently re-wired, 2 swivel seats that connect to any of the tree benches, oars, anchor, 4 rod holders, a fish finder and a trolling motor. All for $1200. We think we did alright. I'm thinking maybe that we may want a low floor in it and maybe a small platform on the front for our 3 small dogs.
I'll peruse the other threads also. Thanks again.

Congratulations !

There should be some more experienced S/N owners cruising through that will help more than I but found your style boat on web search easily enough and even here on Iboats. Play around with the search function in the general boat questions and the boat restoration forum. You will get a large amount of welcomes and feedback.

The M may stand for a "Muskie" model: Boat: 1990 Sea Nymph 14M3 Muskie

Do you think will have to do any restoration or is she ready to go ?

wilkiepup

Cadet

OK, we brought her home last night and she is a 14 K, not a 14 M. She is in great shape and ready to go. We'll need a deep cell battery for the Min Kota. Also, we want to put a small carpeted removable platform between the front seat and the bow for our 3 small sea-worthy dogs. They don't fish. :)
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks like a nice boat, but is it 14ft of boat on 12ft of trailer:
8558771871_67e92bcd23_c.jpg

Might need to at least make longer bunks, and move the winch post as far forward as you can. May need to but the jack behind the winch post to gain 5 or 6 inches.

Even a 25hp puts a bit of down force on the transom, which looks currently unsupported. No problem short term, or for short tows to the ramp. But long term or longer trips on the trailer, it's not ideal.

Looks like it's in great shape, the seat tracks will be nice to have.

jbcurt00

Staff member

It really isn't about the length of the bunks.

It's the way a trailer carries the weight of the boat. The transom carries most of the weight, the motor, even on a 14' semi-v. The bunks support the weight of the hull, if most of that weight is on the transom, I'd prefer to have that weight supported by the bunks:
5903759562_54836df448.jpg

This ^^ pix may be a 12'. It isn't mine. But you can see that the bunk falls just beyond the bottom edge of the transom. So the motor's weight on the transom is fully supported.

Like I said, if you aren't towing it too far, or the road to the launch ramp is in really good shape (not rough & full of pot holes) the current set up might work well. Or if you make the bunks longer, even just 12"+/-, you might be able to move the winch post further forward, move the entire boat forward on the trailer, and have the transom land just on the end of the bunks. Hard to tell, since I can't see the entire tongue length & location of the winch post on the pix you posted.

In the pix I just posted, you can see that the rear bunk overhang is shorter then the amount of bunk that sticks forward mount, possibly half as long.

Moving the boat around on the trailer, adjusting the bunk length, the boats position on the bunks, and the axle location can change the tongue weight. So if it seems too heavy or light after you make a few adjustments, it may tow poorly & behave unexpectedly, so be careful.

Google adjusting boat trailer tongue weight

You'll likely get lots of hits, same if you do an Advanced Search from the forum homepage.

If you do expect to tow the boat a great distance or over rough & uneven roads, the jostling & bouncing can, and has in many cases, damaged the hull where it sits on a bunk, w/out adequate support, like extended out to (or slightly past) the transom.

In extreme cases, particularly on fiberglass hulls, this damage is often a Hooked hull.

Google Hooked Hull

On a lightly constructed tin boat, w/ undersized & poorly located bunks, w/ sufficient excess weight applied (like filling w/ water over a long period of time), a bunk might tear a thin aluminum hull as the hull attempts to sag around the bunk.... This is unlikely on your SN, as most that I've seen, even 14' semi-v's like yours, tend to be stoutly constructed. But a rough enough road, long enough tow or any combination of those, could certainly dent the bottom.

Hope this ^^^ helps..
John;)

EDIT: Might poke around in the trailer & towing forum, lots of good info in there too....

Last edited: