another new owner

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
Stumbled onto this website while looking for info on my newest purchase... Pretty sure its a 94 TX175 Sea Nymph, with a 95 Johnson 50. Its been sitting outside uncovered for the last 4 years that I know of, so I decided to save it and get it back on the water.... hopefully this spring.

sea-nymph_zpsb70f4f54.jpg

So far I am really impressed with it, it had 3 inches of muck in it, and I was fearing that all the decking would have to be replaced, but it appears that all the decking is aluminum. Maybe someone here would know if it has any wood at all?

When I get around to replacing the carpet, I do plan on pulling the decks and making sure the flotation foam is still good. Im sure I will have more questions, mostly outboard stuff, but it sure looks like there is a ton of good info here, will be busy searching for awhile!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: another new owner

Had it a week and have gone thru the trailer hubs cleaned and repacked the bearings, installed new seals and bearing buddies. Also repaired a hitch issue. Still need to go thru the wiring and lights. purchased a spare tire, still need to build the mount for it.

Also bought a couple of seats at Cabela's that were on sale, couldn't beat the $35 price tag. Got the steering working again (was froze up) removed all the old fish finder wiring, started cleaning the bilge area.

Still have a bunch to do before I get it on the water... rebuild the carbs, replace the water pump, flush the oil lines and vro pump, replace the fuel line, plugs, decarb the engine and compression check, go thru the boats electrical system ( a lot of stuff isnt working)

cant wait to go fishing!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I got 90% of the electrical stuff working, just have one dash light and the bow light still not working. I found out that the ignition switch apparently got loose and spun everytime someone turned the key, which caused the wires to twist and short out. I ended up replacing a bunch of wires that had melted insulation. One wire got so hot that it fused itself into the rubber line going to the speedo!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on the buy. Sounds like you're on your way to some fun times out on the water. Be careful though... that looks like a "black" market motor to me... :lol:

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice purchase !

Suggest you go over to the restoration forum and search on Sea Nymphs, as there some good ones going on right now. You will easily see the inside of your hull from others with same boat.

Kept trying to look over your fine boat but my eye kept drifting up to that pink house....quite a background for your pic.

Question for you though, waht is thrust rating of your troll motor.

Also, pls consider starting a thread over in the resto section.

Will tag along on your journey. Good luck.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

"black" market outboard...lol yeah its kinda ugly, its painted that dark charcoal and of course the decals fell off long ago. I would eventually like to repaint and slap some new decals on it.

Streetgang... I will have to do some searching, it would be interesting to see this boat with the decking off. And that pink house... I figured someone would say something about it, lol. just glad I dont have to live there!

I thought about doing a restoration thread, but at this point, all im really trying to do is get it up and running and reliable so I can go chase white bass and crappie on Grand lake here in a few weeks, if everything works out, I also plan on bringing it to Table Rock in June along with my Glastron for a family vacation. My son will end up hauling the Sea Nymph.

Wasnt sure of the protocol here, starting a resto thread but just trying to get it going kind of deal? Didnt want to rile up the regulars since im a noob. But, when it comes time to pull the decking and replace carpet, Im sure I will document it.

I havent done any research on the trolling motor as of yet, here is what I know about it so far... its an OMC brand, and its a 12v version. Just a wild guess, but its probably somewhere around 35# thrust. I will do some checking to see if I can cross reference the number on it and find some specs. I know max thrust on a single battery trolling motor is something like 46# <--- scratch that, Looks like its actually more like 55#

Even though its kinda ratty, I will run it if it seems to work ok. if not... Ill save up some coin and replace it.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat. Got to love those sea nymphs. I am rebuilding one too. A 1986 SC170 fishtracker lots of work and lots of fun too. You may want to check transom if it sat out in the weather for anytime I bet plywood is rotten. And do yourself a favor use marine grade plywood it is real strong. good luck Joel

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joel, Ill be checking out any and all sea nymph resto projects.

As I said above, the boat sat outside, uncovered for at least four years... A neighbor down the street had it and I noticed weeds growing out of it, in the meantime my Father in Law was kinda looking for a boat, and he also noticed the boat... so I stopped and spoke with the seller and he said he would sell it for $1500. I relayed that info back to my Father in Law and he seemed real excited, but eventually got shot down by the boss. (haven't we all)

So over the last few months I started thinking it would make me a perfect little fishing boat, that the rest of the family could also use. So I told myself if I could save up the $1500 without taking out of savings, I would just buy it myself, I did get a few projects sold off and raised the money so I bought it.

Here is a shot of the muck... it had several inches of crud, lots of moss and stinky stuff growing too. Funny thing is... the drain hole to the back of the boat was still covered over with carpet, so the main area of the boat filled up with water and couldnt drain. The transom area looks clean and solid, but its covered by aluminum... I could tell it had water in the bilge area but nothing like the main part of the boat.
boat3_zps291784f0.jpg

When I do the carpet / decking I will attempt to check over the transom... in the meantime Ill keep a close eye on it to see if remains solid.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

my boat had same gross stuff inside. even little pine trees starting to grow in there. I never took any pictures before we started kinda mad that i didn't. once you get it stripped out it will be all progress from there. And like everyone says keep the pictures coming .we like pictures. hopefully I can start working on mine, soon as the snow goes away. I have been buying parts for it all winter. Good luck

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the flotation foam issue... I think I can figure out what this thing is supposed to weigh. I would like to take it over to the local scale and weigh it, that should tell me if the foam is waterlogged.

My carb kits and waterpump arrived, might be a busy weekend.

The only other pic I have of it is some of the shorted wiring I stripped out, The previous owner HAD to have known something was going on... wires that get hot enough to melt the insulation will also stink pretty good. its a wonder the thing didnt burn!

boat2_zps392e5082.jpg