how to fix a leaking live well, both hoses

gfe502

Recruit
l have a 16 ft sidewinder,sea nymph. i have a leak on both lines going to live well, anyone ever had this problem and repaired it? ideals would be helpful, i hate to take up the whole floor thanks for any help

wyohomeboy

Recruit
Re: how to fix a leaking live well, both hoses

I found water coming in my 1991 16' sidewinder this weekend. When I got home and filled my boat with water it started leaking out the livewell intake. It looks like a major pain to replace that line. I was curious if the previous poster had any luck, or if anyone had any suggestions?

Well I recently purchased the same boat knowing it had a leaking livewell hose, I didnt realize it was such a good idea to make that thing inaccessible to man under the floor! I tried cutting a small access hatch into the floor and found the line coming through but its routed through a small hole that isnt large enough for hands to get through. I was wondering if anyone had tried feeding a slightly smaller smooth hose inside the old hose and all the way to the back. Would have to cut the drain pipe inside the livewell and then find a way to seal it off but at this point it seems a lot easier than trying to get to the connection. The previous owner of my boat just put a plug in the livewell line at the back of the boat and called it good but I want to put fish in it.

In case anyone is ever looking I ended up pulling two new hoses through by hooking to the feeder line. tried the drain line first but it was in such poor condition it pulled apart. im sure someone forgot to winterize and the lines cracked. anyway i was able to push a 3/4" line inside the old drain line which was a 1" or 1 1/8" and then made a connection in the access i cut and just cut and reattached the feeder line as well. A little epoxy to make a seal on the drain tube and reconnect in the back. Everything is working good now.

fishrdan

Admiral

Good to hear you got it back together, but be aware of a couple things. Having the drain and fill lines the same size could allow the livewell to overflow, if there isn't another overflow line. The 3/4 line fill can push more water in than the 3/4 drain line can flow, since the fill line is pressurized. I'd test it the first time out and see if the livewell overflows, would be a bummer to accidentally hit the livewell switch and have it overflow, filling the boat, Also, epoxy isn't the best sealant for livewell hoses since it doesn't expand and contract like marine sealant. If it starts leaking, remove the epoxy any reseal with 3M 5200 or 4200,,, or Attwood polyurethane marine sealant (7200?) available at WalMart.

I did use some sort of Marine sealant on the hoses I dont remember the brand but it was specifically for marine purposes. So far so good but thanks for mentioning the others if it starts to leak i will opt for one of them. You are correct on the overflow with the same size lines. I kind of figured that might happen before doing it. I was thinking two things. If the livewell starts to overflow being where it is on my boat i surely better notice it if i am on the boat, however if its docked somewhere and the button gets bumped i am SOL. I could reduce the pipe size in the livewell for the filler line, would this be hard on the pump? The other thought I had was to put a valve on the filler tube in the livewell and to just close it when not in use. Thanks for the input.

gfe502

Recruit

on my 1989 175 sidewinder in the center you can drill out pop rivets, take pan out go up front cut hole on bottom where hoses go up , cut another hole in up right. pull hoses front fronnt to the back,, put hand cleane on hoses 1 1/8 hose and 3/4 hose pull thru, you can blow string thru hoses by useing air compressor to blow . cut new pices of aluminum , pop rivet reglue carpet.. lot of sweat .good luck