Show Your Sea Nymph

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Show Your Sea Nymph

Glad to see this page. I just bought a 12' Sea Nymph last night from some guys back yard in Seattle. It is a 1977 model from the serial and had no title unfortunatly but the price was right. I plan to put on my 1975 Mercury 9.8 on the back. Hope it will fly!

I was bummed to see that the way the transom is made that its 3 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood that is sandwiched over a sheet of thin aluminum. All the wood looks original but is rotted so bad that it will need to be replaced.

Maybe I can replace it will metal? I'm not sure but glad to be in the Sea Nympth club. I just read on the internet that these boats have been around since 1949!

photojonny

Recruit

I just picked up an older Sea Nymph. Model# is 12A, Serial # is 2A10189..... Can anyone tell me how to decipher the serial number to determine the age? Thank You!

rbstewart

Cadet

I just acquired a 1990 Sea Nymph GLS 195 with a 90 Hp Evinrude a couple of months ago that was damaged in a motor vehicle accident. I am in the process of repairing the transom (among other things) which was smashed in 4.5 inches!!

I will be posting repairs in the Repair/restoration forum as well. I'm new to the iBoats forums as a participant but have gotten a ton of good info here previously

~Nickolas~

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is my 1991 Sea Nymph TX175 Tournament and 1992 Evinrude 60HP two stroke... Strong 3 cylinder runs about 50mph with ease. Love this boat :redface:

SeaNymphTX175.jpg

SeaNymphTX175a.jpg

SeaNymphTX175b.jpg

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Cool - a Sea Nymph page!!:D:D Here's my 199? 12k with me, my sister, and my nephew Henry (proud member of the Future Boaters of America Association). It has a '92 Johnson 9.9 on it here, but I also have a '57 Johnson Seahorse 10 I run occasionally. BOB

HPIM0220.jpg

HPIM0222.jpg

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to see a thread here for Sea Nymphs.
One of the better aluminum boats, in my opinion.
Here is my 78:

boat1.jpg

boat4.jpg

That looks almost like mine except my Sea nymph is a 1973 model 14R
"Big Water". By the way,how can I get a picture or two of mine on here?

carpman

Seaman

This is my 1978 Fishing Machine.......It's in the process right now. I have a thread going over in the restoration forum if you guys wanna check it out!

Attachments

• DSCF1299.jpg
    DSCF1299.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1303.jpg
    DSCF1303.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1

toyvette81

Cadet

ok so i have a 89 sea nymph 161 have been running the johnson 40vro but today i got a 98' mariner 75hp, nearly brand new less than 50 hours on it. i see some people getting 50mph out of their 60hp's what are some of your ideas of how fast mine will go?! on a good smooth day with just me i can get about 30mph now with the 40hp and one of my cylinders is at 90 psi the other is at 135. im hoping for 55mph!! all three cylinders on this new mariner tested at 140psi
can not wait to put it on tomorrow!

Attachments

• fishin machine 1.jpg
    fishin machine 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2

seanymphpia

Cadet

Here's my 1990 SS 171 Ski Sport. It has a 1984 Johnson VRO 90, so I think someone before me repowered. I've done a bunch of work, including new decks, new carpet, new pedestal seats, new top, and cleaning out a previous owner's kludge work. Everything now works but the livewells (which I use as coolers...I'm mostly catch and release). It will do over 40 mph with a light load, 36 with the whole family (measured with GPS). I love the boat. We call it the 'Luminum Loon. First photo (with son) is on Kinkaid Lake in S. Illinois, second photo is last fall (08) on Patoka Lake in S. Indiana, other photo is after seat job.

Attachments

• kinkaid08b.JPG
    kinkaid08b.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • patoka08b.JPG
    patoka08b.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • seats09b.JPG
    seats09b.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1

~Nickolas~

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok so i have a 89 sea nymph 161 have been running the johnson 40vro but today i got a 98' mariner 75hp, nearly brand new less than 50 hours on it. i see some people getting 50mph out of their 60hp's what are some of your ideas of how fast mine will go?! on a good smooth day with just me i can get about 30mph now with the 40hp and one of my cylinders is at 90 psi the other is at 135. im hoping for 55mph!! all three cylinders on this new mariner tested at 140psi
can not wait to put it on tomorrow!

The Aluminum boats are always faster than fibreglass as they weigh a lot less. I have also tweaked my boat a bit and the best I have got so far is 53MPH. I have 4 different pitch props and I also installed Boyesen power reeds which made a very noticable difference. My engine has 120-115-120 and always fires right up within a few spins. The Boyesen reeds make it start soooo much easier you don't have to prime it much at all and it idles nice. Very smooth power from idle to full throttle and throttle response is also quicker. You can't go wrong with the reed upgrade and they are easy to install.

Anyway with a 75HP on an aluminum boat you should be up there in speed I would think. I usually have a lot of extras on the boat too such as props, tools, fishing gear, 8-10 gallons of gas, clothes, extra seats, etc and I still cruise at 50 with ease. I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger boat like the fish and ski series. I need more room and I like the walk through windshield boats style. Also a top would come in handy so I dont have to bake in the sun all the time. It would be hard to get rid of this boat though I really like it and I have done a lot to it. Love the 60HP engine as it has plenty of power and also easy on gas. You should break 50 or more with easy...

Nick

MAZILLA

Cadet

Here's my 1980 12' sea nymph, which also happens to be my first boat. I picked it up the way you see it for 600.00 about a month ago. It leaks about 4Oz of water every 1.5hrs, but I'm not going to bother with the rivets over that.Nothing a rag and an occasional ring out doesnt take care of. The previous owner(one of them) fitted a plywood deck....I'm not really sure why they drilled holes from the outside in and then just gobbed adhesive over the screws, but it's above the water line so besides being ugly it's no big deal I guess so I'll leave it for now. I was happiest about the 1995 Johnson 4hp deluxe, and the fact thats it's in perfect shape! Looks and runs like new.

Anywho, since I bought this boat I have found that a good amount of my internet inquiries into proper boat care/handling/maintenance have lead me to this site. I figured I might as well join up, it seems to be the smart thing to do. :D

Cheers.

n1280420705_605027_1622619.jpg

greatoutdoors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a pic of my 79 fishing machine. It has a 70 HP mercury and a Minn Kota edge trolling motor.

Josh

I think I ended up with this guy's boat. This is my '79 Fishing Machine. Same ugly brown color. First picture is the day I got it about a month ago, and the second pic was taken 2 days ago--ripping it apart and redoing from top to bottom.

seanymph1.jpg

seanymphfishingmachine008.jpg

One Legged Josh

Recruit

Here is my '79 Fishing Machine 160. It has a 1997 Yamaha 40 on the back, and a 55 pound Minn kota on the bow. It also came with a GPS/fishfinder. A total of 10 rod holders, and a trolling plate. It is sitting on a custom built Stainless trailer too.
This winter I will be stripping it and putting in all new wood, gluvit, and a re-paint.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1982 SS150, 70 hp Mariner

Attachments

• Boat and motor   9-3 010.jpg
    Boat and motor 9-3 010.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat and motor   9-3 009.jpg
    Boat and motor 9-3 009.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0

191Seanymphstriper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My old restored seanymph 141 FM with a 25 hp yammy 2 stroke oil injected electric start!

217-1.jpg

219-1.jpg

218-1.jpg

And heres my old rebuilt 171 cc senymph striper i miss this 1!!

378-1.jpg

I really enjoy seeing other seanymph boats. I would love to see more pics posted up here! :D

Dragonvly

Recruit

Does anyone have info on where to buy a bimi top with snaps on the side to a 91 Fish and Ski Sea Nymph? This boat was originally bought in Michigan.I've searched the net and haven't found anything that comes close.

I have a bimini top with snaps on my 89 SS175 Fish and Ski. However, sorry to say, I do not wish to sell it because it goes with the boat, and I am in the process of selling the boat -- sob sob. At least I know they exist.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

The way it usually works, when you're not looking for something, you find it! I spent a Saturday night on my cruiser a couple weeks ago and as usual, was tinkering with something. I needed a part from west Marine to finish my repair so I had to wait until Sunday when they were open. I woke up around 5:30 am and could not sleep, so I decided to drive into town, grab a cup of coffee, and see what time West Marine opened. After doing that, it was still too early to go back to the dock and start making noise, so I had to kill some more time. It just so happens that there is a Bass Pro Outdoor world on the opposite side of the the parking lot from West Marine and they had a whole lot full of boats sitting there. I thought why not? May as well walk through the lot and see what they have and kill a few minutes while I downed my coffee.

I was working my way toward the back of the lot when I saw this:

Hey! This is more my style - someone else's cast off junk. Not sure what it is, but it is sure out of place among all these shiny new overpriced boats. I walked nearer to it and saw this:

Still not sure what exactly it is, but it looks decent from here and the price tag says - that can't be right - not at a Bass Pro store $1200.00. It's got my attention now. I look closer. I can see some sort of Mercury hanging on the rear. I see a custom made cover. This thing is not beat up or abused in the least. Now I'm getting really interested. I move in for a closer look:

I see a "Tower of Power" 90 horse merc with a stainless prop,two brand new tires on wheels for the trailer laying on the casting deck, and a brown "astro turf" interior that looks like it came straight out of the 70's. I sure don't need another boat, but wait a minute. How can I possibly walk away from this. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm looking at.

It's laid out nice. Twin consoles, casting decks front and rear, fairly deep and wide. What is it?

I see it now! It's a Sea Nymph! This warrants a trip back to Bass Pro when they open at 10. Surely they are not going to let this go for $1200.00 or there is something wrong with it. I come back with the wife and find a salesman - "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing"

"Start it"

"Can't"

Here we go - I knew this was to good to be true. "Why can't you start it?"

"No one here on Sunday in the shop. Come back tomorrow and we'll start it for you."

I ask if I can buy it now, with the sale contingent on hearing it run on Monday.

"Sure can, you don't even have to leave a deposit. Give me the word and it's yours"

How can I go wrong here? I tell him I'll take it. I come back Monday morning, hear it run (there just isn't another sound in the world as sweet as one of those old mercs), hand over the cash and they hand me the paper work. First stop is the gas station - sweet, both tanks are full. got of there cheap! next stop, the marina. I dump it in the water and try to find something that does't work. Impossible task - every single thing on this boat works. Lets give it a sea trial -

42 mph on the gps. Doesn't leak a drop. Man, I'm loving this thing. It turns out to be a 1979 model year, with an 86 Mercury. I'm still not not exactly sure what model it is, but I'm leaning toward it being a SS-165. Anyone know for sure?

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

The way it usually works, when you're not looking for something, you find it! I spent a Saturday night on my cruiser a couple weeks ago and as usual, was tinkering with something. I needed a part from west Marine to finish my repair so I had to wait until Sunday when they were open. I woke up around 5:30 am and could not sleep, so I decided to drive into town, grab a cup of coffee, and see what time West Marine opened. After doing that, it was still too early to go back to the dock and start making noise, so I had to kill some more time. It just so happens that there is a Bass Pro Outdoor world on the opposite side of the the parking lot from West Marine and they had a whole lot full of boats sitting there. I thought why not? May as well walk through the lot and see what they have and kill a few minutes while I downed my coffee.

I was working my way toward the back of the lot when I saw this:

Hey! This is more my style - someone else's cast off junk. Not sure what it is, but it is sure out of place among all these shiny new overpriced boats. I walked nearer to it and saw this:

Still not sure what exactly it is, but it looks decent from here and the price tag says - that can't be right - not at a Bass Pro store $1200.00. It's got my attention now. I look closer. I can see some sort of Mercury hanging on the rear. I see a custom made cover. This thing is not beat up or abused in the least. Now I'm getting really interested. I move in for a closer look:

I see a "Tower of Power" 90 horse merc with a stainless prop,two brand new tires on wheels for the trailer laying on the casting deck, and a brown "astro turf" interior that looks like it came straight out of the 70's. I sure don't need another boat, but wait a minute. How can I possibly walk away from this. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm looking at.

It's laid out nice. Twin consoles, casting decks front and rear, fairly deep and wide. What is it?

I see it now! It's a Sea Nymph! This warrants a trip back to Bass Pro when they open at 10. Surely they are not going to let this go for $1200.00 or there is something wrong with it. I come back with the wife and find a salesman - "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing"

"Start it"

"Can't"

Here we go - I knew this was to good to be true. "Why can't you start it?"

"No one here on Sunday in the shop. Come back tomorrow and we'll start it for you."

I ask if I can buy it now, with the sale contingent on hearing it run on Monday.

"Sure can, you don't even have to leave a deposit. Give me the word and it's yours"

How can I go wrong here? I tell him I'll take it. I come back Monday morning, hear it run (there just isn't another sound in the world as sweet as one of those old mercs), hand over the cash and they hand me the paper work. First stop is the gas station - sweet, both tanks are full. got of there cheap! next stop, the marina. I dump it in the water and try to find something that does't work. Impossible task - every single thing on this boat works. Lets give it a sea trial -

42 mph on the gps. Doesn't leak a drop. Man, I'm loving this thing. It turns out to be a 1979 model year, with an 86 Mercury. I'm still not not exactly sure what model it is, but I'm leaning toward it being a SS-165. Anyone know for sure?

Awesome post! And awesome find....great work. Not sure on the model, but I dig it.