1981 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine Restoral project

AF-Chief

Recruit
I just purchased a 1981 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine. The previous owner had stripped it out with plans to transform it into a duck hunting boat. I want to restore it as a family fishing boat. I have read over other SN restorals. This one has the dreaded poured foam flotation material. I have several questions that I would like feedback on:

1. The foam appears to be dry (the boat has been kept in a garage and basement for several years. Is it necessary to remove the poured foam and replace with block foam?

2. What is an approximate weight for this model boat without seats, floor, console, deck.... ? I could weigh it and determine if there is hidden water deep in the foam causing added weight.

3. Is there a site or location to find information on how the original configuration was?

I welcome your input. I will upload some picture as I get them.

Thank you
Ritchie

AF-Chief

Recruit
While examing the axles I noticed that there is grease leaking from the caps. Looks like I need to clean up and repack the bearings.

AF-Chief

Recruit
Long weekend coming up, I hope to work on the boat. Anyone care to comment on whether to keep the poured flotation that appears to be dry or rip it out?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Get a 2in piece of PVC and cut teeth around 1 end and use it to drill a core sample all the way down to the hull. Pull the core and wait a bit, water either will or wont collect in the void.

Its about a 37yr old boat, that and being partially gutted by the PO make it more likely then not to have waterlogged foam. It may (and often does) appear dry on the surface.

If hole 1 doesnt collect water, drill another in a different area you think water might collect.

Its up to you how many holes you drill, 6 wouldnt be too many to decide for or against foam removal. Its a complete pain, but you also dont want to cover up wet foam......

The other choice is to decide that it simply isnt worth doing all the rest of the new work and leaving the old foam.

Removing the foam also allows you to clean the interior of the hull, check for leaking rivets and seal all the rivets and seams w Gluv-It or similar.