Coho 16

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, folks. Just bought a 1973 16R72 (I assume the "72" is correct as I measured an actual 71-1/2 in) badged " Coho 16" with a Tee-Nee trailer of the same vintage and a 40 HP 2-stroke 2 cylinder Mercury. The alleged story on the boat and trailer is that the original owner purchased both new in Ohio in 1973, launched a few times in fresh water, then was transferred to Cherry Hill, NJ, where the boat was garaged, and sat for the next ~40 years. It was then bought by my seller, who swapped motors (original was a 6 HP OMC Fisherman) and planned to convert it to a salt water boat. Part way into the project, he decided he wanted a larger boat, so listed it for sale on CL. I obviously cannot check out every detail of the history, but what I have seen tends to corroborate it, and I've as yet found nothing that contradicts the account. Motor is somewhat of a mystery stew as the s/n doesn't seem to match the badging - I've got a Q posted in the iboats Merc motor forum on that now. I'll post pics as soon as I get the leaves and acorns removed and the boat washed up. Just FYI, I have threads on this boat going both here and in tinboats - I hope no one objects.

64osby

Admiral
As long as you post pics I wont complain to management.

Sounds like a great find.

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

After 2 hours at the car wash, it's far from clean, but it is an improvement...

Attachments

• photo233471.jpg
    photo233471.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo233472.jpg
    photo233472.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo233473.jpg
    photo233473.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo233474.jpg
    photo233474.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo233475.jpg
    photo233475.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 2

64osby

Admiral
Looks like a very nice hull. No dings and dents. Nice.

The wrap over the transom is different, doesn't look factory.

jbcurt00

Staff member
No objections, just try to keep this topic updated w content rather then posting a link to the other site.

Iboats has a lot of fellas working on tin, some may dond this down here in the Sea Nymph forum. But it isnt nearly as active as the Starcraft forum. The restoration forum might get you more foot traffic thru here as you work on the Coho.

If you'd like it left here, thats fine. If you want it moved, just post asking for it to be moved to resto and we'll move it for ya....

Looks like a nice 16ftr. 6ft beam should make for a wide stable platform

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice
No objections, just try to keep this topic updated w content rather then posting a link to the other site.

Iboats has a lot of fellas working on tin, some may dond this down here in the Sea Nymph forum. But it isnt nearly as active as the Starcraft forum. The restoration forum might get you more foot traffic thru here as you work on the Coho.

If you'd like it left here, thats fine. If you want it moved, just post asking for it to be moved to resto and we'll move it for ya....

Looks like a nice 16ftr. 6ft beam should make for a wide stable platform

This board is fine for now. Other than my plan to "undo" the transom rise (somewhat contingent on how much ugliness I find under the SS sheet) and possible removal or relocation (side) of the console, I'm planning to keep mods to a minumum (I'm a strong "KISS" advocate), so I'm not sure that it really qualifies as a "project"...

P.S., I won't cross-link sites

Last edited:

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice

The PO did a DIY transom rise to long shaft height using a piece of 2 x 6 and the SS sheet. One of the first things I plan to do is open that up to see what he really did, and my tentative plan is to revert to the original (low) transom.

iam2sam

Seaman Apprentice

I did find one tiny scratch, left side aft near the gunwale, that looks like it probably came from trailering or handling. Wouldn't be noticeable were the rest of the boat not so pristine :)