Which Teleflex Steering System Do I Need?

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1987 Sea Nymph Striper CC-191, I believe it has the original steering system, which has become very difficult to turn. I think its a rack & pinion steering. I looked at the Teleflex web site, which is now called something else (maybe Seastar systems?). There are too many to choose from on their web site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I emailed the company and am waiting for a response from them as well. Thanks.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seastar Solutions called me back and recommended the 18ft NFB Rack steering system, based on the fact that the currently installed rack and pinion system has an 18ft cable.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update; I haven't had time to remove the old steering system, but I will document the entite process once I get around to it. I was hoping to have it replaced by now but remodelling the kitchen has put all boating and fishing on the back burner.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The new steering system is in and it works like a champ. I didn't have to remove my motor to install the steering cable, which made my day. The No Feedback steering is awesome. Very smooth steering, and 3.5 turns lock to lock.

A PO had some other wires zip-tied to the old steering cable, which were a real pain to get to. The instructions say NOT to tie the steering cable to any other wires or cables, but for some reason a PO loved to zip tie everything together. We almost had to remove the rear floor section from the helm back just to rewire the boat and get the old steering system out. This new steering cable isn't zip-tied to anything.

Sorry, no pics of the install job because we did it outside in the rain. But it was pretty easy, and I've never done anything like it before. The worst part for me was finding other wires zip-tied to the steering cable under the floor, and that includes the main wiring bundle that leads from the "black box" in the stern, under the floor to the helm and all the gauges, toggles and ignition. So we had to be very careful about not pulling too hard on the old steering cable because we didn't want to mess up the other wiring that runs over the fuel tank.