• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bent Fins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Fins

I have a 1995 Ski Sanger, the bottom of the boat has (3) Brass fins or skegs.. that keep it from sliding when turing at high speeds. Two of the fins are bent slightly in opposite directions while the middle fin is straight. While driving the boat will not stay straight like a car out of alighnment. Does anyone know how to bend them back straight with out damageing the fin or the hull?

Re: Bent Fins

The safest thing would be to pull them off.

you should be able to get them off fairly easy.
    Then either repair or replace them.

Are they twisted or bent to one side.
    sigpic

90 supra bravura pmc351 1.23/1 pmc40
    96 seaswirl squirt 115omc turbojet
    88 kawasaki sj550
    88 kawasaki x2 650
    92 yamaha waverunner III
    94 seadoo xp

Comment

The are not twisted only bent to one side. I thought about taking them off. I was looking at it and they are thru bolted to the hull but there appears to be some form of resin holding them there as well, probably to keep water out. I have heard you can bend them back with channel locks while still on the boat but haven't tried yet.

Comment

Boats dont handle like cars, I suspect they arent bent but shaped like that for a reason

Comment

There is a good chance the sealant is 3m 5200 can be a real bear to get off.

You could try to bend them back on the boat just watch and listen for any signs of stress to the hull.
          sigpic

90 supra bravura pmc351 1.23/1 pmc40
          96 seaswirl squirt 115omc turbojet
          88 kawasaki sj550
          88 kawasaki x2 650
          92 yamaha waverunner III
          94 seadoo xp

Comment

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Comment

The fins should be dead straight and in line. If you call Sanger they can help.
              Your boat should stay straighter than almost any other from idle up to top speed.

Comment

Working...
              X