mercruiser engine running very rich

sanger 20dlx

Cadet
has anyone got any ideas why my engine is running rich its a 350 mag EFI in a 97 sanger??.any idea is better than no ideas

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercruiser engine running very rich

If your injectors are dirty they may be leaking and additional fuel will enter. This would be especially evident at idle and less of an issue at full throttle. There could also be a problem with a sensor like the air flow or engine temperature.

sanger 20dlx

Cadet

thanks for the reply it would idle fantastic but as soon as you give it some power it would really blow smoke ??..i have had it checked out but the boat man couldnt find any thing wrong?..so i will put in the water this weekend and see how it goes (fingers crossed)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Blowing smoke under power could be a sign of worn rings. That's not fatal but it can be annoying.

sanger 20dlx

Cadet

i think the problem is solved …i went to the boat ramp and thought i better start the boat before i put it in the water and guess what ………almost dead battery…so back in to town 300 dollars later for two batterys and now you turn the key and away she goes. no smoke. nothing purrs like a kitten