Shaft Size - what is it & what is right length?

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice
I have a sailfish 176 - built in the 90's by Seminole. I'm considering a new motor. I don't understand "shaft length". There is a Suzuki DT100 on the boat now. The Yami and Mercs come in either a 20 or 25 inch shaft length. How do I know what is right for me?

SWANEE

Recruit
Re: Shaft Size - what is it & what is right length?

Here's The Scoop- - - I Checked The Records According To The Abos Documents And The 176 From 1995-1999 Uses A 20'' Shaft.the Boat Was First Built In 1995.your Best Bet Is A 90hp Yamaha But She Will Run Fine On A 70-75hp Yami Also.if The Old Motor Was Yamaha Then You Will Pay About $7900.for The New 75hp Installed Using The Existing Guages And Prop.new Key Switch And Wire Harness Included.:) Swanee

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Shaft length refers to the dimension taken from the transom bracket (the part that sits on the top edge of the transom, to the antiventilation plate which is the flat plate just above the prop. A transom that measure 15 inches from the top to the keel takes a "short shaft - 15" engine. 20-inch transoms take a 20-inch long shaft engine. 25-inch transoms take an extra long shaft engine.

danholt32

Recruit

Any chance you still have the old (dead?) DT100 motor? I'm looking for an ignition control module.